Part 11

Rhett studied a problem in the textbook, glancing up ocassionally at Jocelyn who was sitting silently across from him, reading a book.
"How's your book?" Rhett asked.
"Shh." Jocelyn said, glaring at him.
"What? I'm just-"
"Working on your trig. homework?"
"Yeah. That." Rhett sighed, turning his attention back to the textbook in front of hi . He read the problem twice more before looking back over at Jocelyn, who was engulfed in her novel. He was quiet for a moment, trying to decide what to say.
"Jocelyn," He whispered, grinning.
Jocelyn rolled her eyes emphatically and then set her book down. "Yes?" She asked.
"I can't figure out number 2." Rhett said placidly, his face emotionless.
Jocelyn's mouth opened dumbtfoundedly, "You're only on... number 2. We've been working on this for over half and hour and you're only on number 2." Her face was livid.
Rhett laughed. "No, I'm just kidding. I'm on 27. Chill." He grinned.
Jocelyn glowered at him, trying to not over-react. "Great" She said calmly, inhaling slowly. "What do you need?" She inquired, leaning closer to him to read over his shoulder but not too close.
"Well, I was hoping for a kiss..." Rhett teased and Jocelyn practically fell out of her chair because she had scooted away from him so quickly.
Rhett laughed again. "I'm not THAT ugly, am I?" He asked.
Jocelyn was silent, blushing furiously. "No. You aren't. But you ARE an outrageous player who enjoys messing with poor, innocent, unattractive girls' heads to try and make them fall all over you, just like every other girl at school does."
Rhett cocked an eyebrow. "Who said you were unattractive?" he asked.
Jocelyn didn't respond as she pulled her chair back into the upright position and sat in it, not looking at Rhett. Her brown curls covered her face slightly.
Rhett scooted his chair closer to hers causing Jocelyn to groan.
"Just go away please." She pleaded.
"What if I don't want to?" Rhett asked, reaching out and turning Jocelyn's chair to face him. She looked at the ground.

"You aren't unattractive." Rhett started. "I-" He hesitated, knowing he had to choose his words carefully. "I think you're actually really pretty." He said.
That got a glare from Jocelyn and she retorted, "How come you didn't think so the other day when you bullied me in front of your friends? What is with you?" She asked, her voice raising slightly, "You think girls are just gonna fall all over you because-"
"They seem to." Rhett cut in and Jocelyn threw her hands in the air, rolling her eyes again.
"That's what I mean. Look, you probably aren't used hearing this, but the world doesn't revolve around Rhett Collins." Jocelyn said angrily.
"Jocelyn," Rhett said calmly, putting his hand on her shoulder "You are right. I need to apologize for the other day. I acted like an idiot. And I shouldn't have. I'm sorry. I had no right to treat you the way I did. And you have no reason to help me with my schoolwork. "
Jocelyn sighed, looking up at him. He seemed sincere enough. "I forgive you." She said. "I-"
Suddenly, Rhett was coming towards her, appearing as if he was going to kiss her.
Jocelyn froze.