Chapter Two

"Do you have everything?" Allison's mom asked her.

Allison ran through her mental checklist. "Yes. I packed everything."

Her mom put her suitcase in the car. "Kyle, what about you?"

Allison's older brother gave his mom his suitcase. "Yup," he said.

"And Lily?" her mom said.

A little girl, about the age of five, came up to her mom and handed her a Hello Kitty bag filled with toys and crayons.

Her mom laughed. "I already packed your clothes, so I'll put this bag in your suitcase."

"Are you done putting everything in the car?" Allison's dad asked.

Her mom nodded. "We're all set."

"Alright, everyone in the car!" her dad shouted.

Allison's parents got in the front seats of the car with her dad driving, Kyle sat in the back, and Allison and Lily sat in the middle.

Her dad started the car and began to drive to the airport. Allison was so excited she wasn't even paying attention to the rest of her family. Kyle was listening to his headphones and writing his college essays, Lily was coloring in her Strawberry Shortcake coloring book, and her parents were singing along to some old song on the radio.

But Allison wasn't paying attention to any of that. She looked out the window and bit her lip in anticipation. She couldn't believe that she was really going to go to Florida.

When they arrived at the airport, Allison was bursting with excitement. She had never been on a plane before.

There was a fifteen minute wait before they could board their plane, so Allison and her family sat in the waiting room. Allison ate an apple and read a book while she waited.

When she finished her apple, she stood up to throw the core away. As she was walking back to her seat, she tripped on the leg of a chair.

A group of boys in the back of the waiting room laughed at her. She could hear them calling her clumsy. Allison got off of the floor and sat in her seat again.

"Are you okay?" her mom asked.

"I'm fine," Allison answered. Inside her head, she thought about how she could never escape the bullying. It seemed to follow her wherever she went. She wondered if there was something wrong with her.

Allison heard an announcement calling for her plane to board. She and her family got up and boarded onto the plane. Allison's negative thoughts disappeared when she got on the plane. She was one step closer to Florida.

Allison sat next to Lily and calmed her down when the plane experienced turbulence through take off, even though she was feeling a little scared herself.

Allison couldn't help but notice that one of the boys that was laughing at her back at the airport was also on the plane to Florida. He caught her staring at him and winked. Allison looked away quickly, feeling embarrassed.

The plane ride took five hours. Allison finished the book she was reading, listened to every song on her phone, and even chatted for half an hour with Lily about whether Barbie should break up with Ken or not.