Chapter Three

Lily woke Allison up bright and early. "Get up, Ally! We're in Florida!"

Allison sat up and looked at Lily. She was already dressed.

"We're gonna go to the beach!" she shouted.

Allison smiled. She had been excited to go to the beach. She put her bathing suit on with a loose floral sundress as a cover up. She brushed her light brown hair, applied sunscreen, and put on some waterproof mascara.

"Are you ready?" Lily asked.

"Yup," Allison nodded.

Allison and Lily headed downstairs. Their parents were packing a beach bag while Kyle waited by the door.

"Let's go!" their dad said when everyone was ready.

Allison and her family headed downstairs to the hotel lobby. Her mom instructed Lily to sit down on one of the sofas while she put sunscreen on her.

"Excuse me, but are you going to the beach?" a woman asked, coming up to Allison and her family.

"Yes," her mom answered.

"Oh, my family and I were looking for something fun to do today. The beach is a perfect idea! Do you mind if we walk with you?" the woman said. "My daughter looks about your daughter's age, and she was looking for a friend."

A little girl that looked around Lily's age came up to the woman. "I'm Emily," she said to Lily.

"That would be great! Lily is always looking for friends," her mom told the woman.

A man came up next to the woman. She introduced herself and her husband to Allison's mom, and they started chatting. Behind the woman came the boy from the airport and the plane.

"Hey, you're that girl who tripped at the airport," he said to Allison. He laughed.

Allison felt like throwing up. This could not be happening. Her family was hanging out with his family at the beach.

"Yeah," Allison said, looking in the other direction. She tried to ignore the boy and pretend he didn't exist.

Allison's family and the boy's family walked out of the hotel and started to go towards the beach.

"Are you from Washington as well?" the boy asked her.

She couldn't believe he was still talking to her. "Mmm-hmm." She went back to ignoring him.

"Oh, I figured because you were at the same airport as me," he said. Allison snuck a glance at him when he wasn't looking. He had dark brown hair with matching dark brown eyes, and he was wearing a gray tee shirt with khaki shorts. "So what brings you to Florida?"

"A family vacation," Allison said. She was trying to make her answers as short as possible, without being rude.

"Very nice," he said. "I'm here to visit my great-grandmother. I'm Josh, by the way."

"I'm Allison," she said.

They arrived at the beach. Lily and Emily took off their cover ups and ran into the ocean. Allison's parents and Josh's parents laid out beach towels and set up umbrellas. Allison sat on a beach towel, and Josh sat down next to her.