The Deep Way Down

the deep way down:
It all started with a kiss.

chapter one: troubles
Anna Curtis

Okay, here we go.

I walked up to the house and rang the doorbell. I can't believe I actually agreed to tutor someone. Like I have nothing else to do with my time. At least I'm getting paid $50 a week to be here.

I found a brand new fascination with my shoes the longer I waited outside the house. I wouldn't mind getting paid $50 for nothing because no one bothered to open the door. But Mr. Praxton bestowed all his faith that his best student would be able to give him the best results.

"Well, look who we have here." I looked up and saw Gabe staring back at me. Of course! How did I forget that he had two younger sisters - two younger twin sisters, Joni and Kandance. Joni and Kandance Morales. God, I'm such an idiot.

"Let me in, Gabe." I tried to push past him but he was much stronger and pushed me back out onto the porch. He wanted an answer to why I was here but how could I speak without my voice wavering. I kept my eyes on the wooden panels of the porch and tried to hold back my tears.

"Gabe! What are you doing!" Then someone appeared next to me trying to help me up.

"Calm down, I was just playing with the doll." When I looked up, I saw he was already up the stairs.

"Are you okay?" She whispered to me. I nodded. I was okay because this wasn't the worst thing Gabe ever did. She brought me inside and I was amazed at how large it was. I think it was big enough to fit all the students in here.

"Why are you following me?" She broke me from my thoughts of how many marshmallows could fit in her house. I struggled to find the right words to form a response but I couldn't stop thinking about marshmallows. "If you're looking for Kandance, she's in the kitchen. She basically looks like me without the glasses."

So I've been following Joni around. Joni wears glasses. Kandance doesn't.

I repeated this to myself as I wandered around their house trying to find the kitchen. Joni was right, even after searching for what felt like an hour, Kandance was in the kitchen with papers scattered in front of her on the table.

"Hi there," I gave her a small wave. When she looked up, she seemed more than unamused to see me there.

"Are you just going to stand there or are you going to make me smart?"

"Is everyone in this family always this mean?" I sat down next to her and she sighed.

"I guess so. I'm only mad at the fact that Joni is the star child when I'm the talented one," she leaned towards me and whispered, "I sing pretty good." She said it so low like it was a secret she was trying to keep locked away.

"Can I hear?" She stared blankly at me and I realized that I was here to tutor her. I already wasted enough time trying to find my way to her. "Right, right."

"Maybe later," she nodded. I smiled at her and directed my attention back on the pile of papers in front of us.

"First, we need to get organized." I stood from my chair to reach the furthest paper and started to sort out her math papers from her english papers, her Spanish worksheets from her science packets. "And now we start homework."

After reviewing what she had to do, it was actually pretty simple. I taught her how to set up the equations and I explained the basic rule of solving the problem. I cut her loose and watched as she solved the rest of the worksheet. I gave her a few more practice problems afterwards and she got them all right. I'm impressed at how fast she learns.

"That's so much easier than what they're teaching us!"

"Don't listen to what they're teaching you if you don't get it; do your own thing! Changing math problems into Batman scenarios is easier for me." She started to laugh and I stared at her. "What? I'm serious."

"I'm sorry! It's just that," she laughed even harder, "you remind me of Gabe. He's so in love with Batman that he even named our dogs, Batman and Robin." She rolled her eyes as the smaller dog ran through the kitchen followed by a larger one.

"Considering he's been bullying me since third grade, I'm shocked we have something in common."

"Really?" I stared at her while she shouted something in Spanish. She calmed down and looked at me, her cheeks red. "Sorry, I start speaking Spanish when I get angry. I take after my mom." I guess all the Morales take after their mom.

I saw Gabe hop off the railing of the staircase. "Time to go."

She told me that she had dance practice and that she'll see me tomorrow. We both grabbed our things and I followed her out the door. Gabe had other plans for me and pulled me back by my collar. I yelped at the brief moment without oxygen.

"Look, I'm not looking forward to smelling a smart rat everyday, so when I come down to take the little ballerina to practice, you better not be here." He sneered at me before pushing me to the ground again. I didn't have the strength to get up and he chuckled and shut the door behind him. Hot tears escaped my eyes and I forcefully wiped them away.

p: 25 May 2013 @ 12:43
e: 17 February 2015 @ 01:06
editor: masked4