Chapter 4 - Gemstone Trouble

I impatiently tap my pen on the 2 seater table, waiting for Mr Foweld to walk in. The bags on my eyes drooped down onto my cheeks telling me I hadn't had enough sleep. Which was a fact, because yesterday I had lost the last memory of my mother, my red sapphire. Sleeping was useless not knowing where it went, I bet she was looking down from the heavens, cursing me.

I had been too restless thinking about what happened yesterday. The club, the fire and the dance all seemed like a fairy tale.

5 minutes to the bell and both Alexander and Mr Foweld weren't here yet. With the remaining time, I sleep walk to Bree, hoping she could enlighten my drowsiness.

''Woah.'' Bree flinches at the sight of me. ''You look like a zombie from one of those video games.''

I called Bree this morning, chatting about the series of events that occured yesterday. We had a deal to keep it secret. Bree didn't mention anything about Alexander, so I'm guessing she doesn't know about him being the guy behind the mask. Yet. If Bree's rumors had been true, then I guess Alexander had been dating Pixie.

Why hide it?

I sighed. ''Bree, I lost the sapphire Mama gave to me, I brought it with me to the club and I never came home with it.''

''Aw, babe.'' She hugged me passionately. ''It'll be okay, you'll find it soon I promise.''

Don't make promises you can't keep Bree. ''I want to die.'' I say half heartedly.

She slammed her fist to her chest, as if her heart had been broken. ''Don't say that! Look, if you really want to find it, we can go back to the_'' Bree glances around, making sure no one was in hearing range. ''Club.''

There was no way I was going back there. ''You just want to see Alec again.'' With Bree I'm sticking to the information she and I both know.

Bree taps her 2 index finders together, pouting. ''That's only partly true, plus if you really left it there, we could go back. Just think about it.''

Both Mr Foweld and Alexander walk into the classroom, giving me the cue to return to my spot. I snuggled into my seat next to Alexander, waiting for Mr Foweld to start class. Science was the only subject we shared together, one hour of keeping a cool front and I wouldn't see Alexander until tomorrow. I couldn't help but notice the burn on his left cheek, I was lucky enough not to be harmed the fire yesterday. I was hurt emotionally but not physically.

''Hey freak.'' Instead of his cocky out bursts, his voice had been replaced by a quiet yet pissed tone.

''Hey Alec.'' I say subconsciously. I was still thinking about what happened yesterday, too much drama had happened since then.

Wait. Did I say Alec?

Alexander stood up, shoving his chair back. ''Did you just call me Alec?!'' I Guess I did call him Alec, shit.

Need to think of something, fast.

I responded with a playful tone. ''I said hey, Alec-zan-der. Gosh, can't you hear?'' That was a horrible cover up.

He brought his chair in, sitting down again. ''Whatever freak.'' In my mind I banged my head onto a wall.

Science had been boring and easy, as always. For some reason I looked at Alexander quite a lot this period. I didn't stare at him, I just stole glances. Everytime I thought about him, my head would automatically turn to the right and there he was, looking as complicated and brilliant as yesterday. He reminded me of a rubix cube, uncoordnated and very unsolvable.

As class ended, I accidentally bump into him. I tripped over my foot and he caught me by the shoulders.

''Woah, watch out freak.'' He lightly but quickly pushed me away.