Running From the Wicked Witch

Another fight with that awful, wretched, villainous, knaving women! Ugh! I'm 18 for goodness sake! I'm a legal adult who can "drink and be merry", but I can't be merry because of her. That extraordinarily horrid women who controls my entire life! I'll never be good enough for her! You would think we would have some special type of bond, considering. But, no how could she possibly love a university drop-out. I'm not even technically a drop-out! I simply left for a bit due to stress and the fact I'm not sure I know what I want to do for the rest of my life. Besides, most people take a gap year anyway. However, I didn't want to think about being around her anymore than necessary. I could go back anytime I wanted. I hate my mother! Ever since dad left she has been nothing but cruel. She hates me and everything I do. Wait a minute I'm a legal adult! I can leave here and she can't drag me back!

       I descended hurriedly downstairs, ran to the front hall, and I whipped open the door to the cellar. I yanked out my two shiny purple suitcases. I got them for my 17th birthday to use for Uni. I haven't touched them since I got home. That explains the extravagant amount of dust on them now. I brushed off some dust and sneezed. Then, I blew of the remainder. That wasn't a good idea because the next five minutes passed in a myriad of coughing and sneezing that seemed endless.

       Once I was capable of breathing, I hiked back to the hall. My mother was waiting. I just shoved past nonchalantly. I rushed upstairs and locked the door. I dashed around tossing in random clothes and keepsakes. I packed as many books as possible. I made sure to grab my Doctor Who off-brand Legos and my pillow for the train. I also grabbed the TARDIS backpack and wallet I own. I filled my backpack with more random items. Once that was full, I sighed. I may have packed superfluously, but who knows if she'd would ship stuff later. She may sell it all tomorrow. I went into my secret cash drawer. My mom deposits all my money into her bank account until I finish Uni, when I'll be "mature enough". It's for this reason I say I get paid bimonthly for less than is true. Once I gathered everything I laid down on my bed. I thought about where I should go now. I pulled out my mobile and scrolled through my contacts.

      "Too close, too close, Wales is way too far. No clue where they live. Who the heck is that?" I mumbled to myself as I kept scrolling. Finally I found someone I could call, someone I knew would help. I took a deep breath and pressed call. The conversation was anticlimactic, thankfully. I told them I was coming, and they were very excited. They tried to ask what happened.

     "I'll tell you later, right now I have to take a look at the train schedule," I told them.

     "Well I have to make dinner. I'll talk to you later, Tiphy" they replied. Then I heard a click. I used my phone and I learned there was a train leaving in about a half hour. I headed to the station.

      When I left it was evening. Evening isn't the best time to be out in this town so I remained circumspect. Arriving at the station, I bought a ticket to Kings Cross and boarded the train. Once I got on the train, I got comfy. I didn't feel like talking to people. I'm an introvert. Being introverted is just one of the things that makes me a complete outsider. Soon the remaining time before departure past and I was on my to London.

Photo Credit: Peter Whatley