12: Nameless

His Side

After my special friend left, I went back into the bedroom to fit Jamie sitting there with an unreadable expression on her face.

"What? Why are you looking at me like that?"

She smiles. "They want us to fight?"

I shook my head immediately. "You and your eavesdropping habits..." I grumble under my breath. Then I find her eyes and give her a hard look. "I won't allow you to fight in this, Jamie. Wait, wait-" I rush before she can cut me off, her mood turning sour - "Let me finish. I know what you're going to say, 'I'm independent, I can do it myself, I don't need anybody',  but Jamie, you do need people. You need to trust someone." My voice softens. "You need to trust me."

She glares at her hands in a protestant silence. "Brusk, maybe you're the one who should trust in me." Her piercing eyes look up at me. "If you think for a second that I can't handle a war just because I'm a girl, you ca-"

"Shush, Jamie. I'm not discriminating against girls. I am worried about you because you are my only friend. You've been my life for the last couple of forevers, and then some. What would I do with myself if anything were to happen to you out in the field?"

"Then do it with me, stupid. But don't make me sit around like this while you're out there being everybody's hero. Don't make me wait for you to screw up. Don't."

I roll my eyes. "No need to be dramatic about it."

She snorts. "Fine, but I'm accepting the position. I'm going to make a difference. I'm sick of these stupid raids and this stupid government."

"That is music to my ears, Jamie!" A new voice pops up as my friend in the cargo pants strides into the bedroom unannounced. Jamie reflexively pulls a knife out of nowhere - where did she get that? - and scrambles out of the bed clumsily.

"H-how do you know my name?" She gasped, dropping the knife. I rushed to help her support herself; the drugs hadn't worn off yet, so she was still physically disoriented.

The man merely smiles. "I know a lot of things, dear. But that isn't important. What matters right now is what you just said."

I can't help raising an eyebrow. "She just called the government stupid. What's that got to do with anything?"

He laughs as if its obvious. "We need devoted killers like you," he directs at Jamie.

She relaxes slowly and listens as he tells her all about the amazing opportunity to make a difference and save her country. About how she could be the deciding factor in who wins this war: The government, or the people.

His manipulative way with words has her totally hooked.

After he left, I realized two things.

First, he never bothered to mention his name at any point in the conversations I've had with him.

Second, Jamie is infatuated with him.

Crap.