Chapter 5

Hiccup yawned and slowly opened his eyes. He stared at Jack's face that was sleeping and right next to his. Hiccup quickly sat up and scooted away until he fell off the bed.

Jack woke up to the thud. He looked over the side of the bed. "Are you okay?" Jack asked innocently.

"Am I okay?! Why were we sleeping in the same bed?!" Hiccup huffed.

"While I was playing the piano you fell asleep. I wasn't just going to leave you there so I carried you over here. I didn't want you to sleep on the floor, and I didn't want to sleep on the floor, so I didn't see the big deal if we shared my bed," Jack explained.

"Well I do see the big deal," Hiccup said, trying to hide his red face. What was the big deal? They were both guys anyway, it shouldn't have made Hiccup so flustered. But every time he tried to think like that Hiccup's mind kept going back to when Jack had kissed him. Hiccup looked up at the dead boy. He only seemed to be slightly older than himself. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Of course," Jack said.

"How did you die?"

Jack frowned. "Oh. Well, one day my sister wanted to go ice skating so I took her. But the ice was a little too thin and started to crack. I was able to fling her to safety, but I wasn't so lucky. That's why I'm colder than the others and more pale than blue."

"I'm sorry to hear that..." Hiccup said sadly.

Jack smiled and patted Hiccup's shoulder. "Don't be so sad, even though I admit it makes me happy. There are plenty of people here with a more tragic story than mine."

"Still, it happened at such a young age," Hiccup said.

Jack shrugged. "We all go sometime. Honestly, I'd rather be stuck in this younger body rather than an older one," Jack laughed.

Hiccup smiled slightly. "You make light of everything, don't you?"

"What can I say? I like to have fun," Jack smiled. "Now come on, I want to introduce you to someone today."

Hiccup couldn't help but feel nervous. "O..kay," Hiccup said slowly.

Jack grabbed Hiccup's hand and started dragging him down the streets. The coldness of the boys hand was almost soothing to Hiccup.

"He's like the elder of this place," Jack explained on the way. "He knows just about everything and people always go to him if they need help."

"He sounds like a cool guy," Hiccup said, trying to keep his footing as Jack hurried along.

"Oh, he is," Jack said as they came up to a decrepit building. They walked through the front door without so much as a knock. Hiccup looked around amazed at the many books just laying around. Old toys seemed to scatter the place also, looking out of place with the literature. "North! Are you here?" Jack yelled.

"As if I'm anywhere else," a laugh bellowed, slowly turning into a cough. Hiccup looked up in awe at the giant skeleton. Somehow even the bones were big and Hiccup could tell he was a bigger man when he was alive. North looked down at Hiccup, then towards Jack. "What did you do?"

"I.. uh.. brought him down here," Jack said meekly. "But he proposed to me!" he quickly added, showing North the ring.

Hiccup sighed, not wanting to explain yet again that he did not propose.

North looked back at Hiccup. "Did you really? Are you really here by choice?"

Jack looked down sadly, obviously not thinking this was how the conversation was going to go.