Something wicked this way comes

Chapter One

I don't believe in true love.

It always ends the same. You find someone you really like, and the romance flickers like a flame, glowing brighter and brighter. It’s nice at first, pleasant even, warming your insides, up from your head and down to your toes.

Then it gets intense. The flame expands, burning with passionate heat, so hot and bright you have to take a step back to keep from getting hurt.

What most people don't understand is that fire eventually burns you to a crisp, killing you slowly in your own passion, until you've finally noticed you've gotten hurt. And then it burns out quickly, leaving only a small wisp of smoke and scars.

I reminded myself of this as I stared into the shop covered in red balloons, red chocolate boxes and red roses. Valentines days was just around the corner, and as a couple emerged from the store the guy's eyes flickered to mine. From the looks of it he was planning to break it off soon. Either that or he simply didn't care anymore.

There was only one exception I saw to true love, and that happened to be my brother and sister in-law. They had been high school sweethearts, dated all through college and had an early wedding. They were now both twenty four and still just as in love since the day Colin brought her home. If you just watched the way they looked at each other, you could tell they would last, and nothing would tear them apart.

About a year ago Sarah and Colin told us they would be expecting a baby. Our family was of course delighted by the news, all except me who seemed to wallow in their happiness.

It wasn't until eight months ago when Sarah had her miscarriage that I really got to know her, and we became the best of friends since. We understood the pain of not being pregnant, though I always felt Sarah suffered more, having once been pregnant. I had the luck of never having to go through that at all.

I had asked her once if she could have not been pregnant at all, would she?

“No.” Her voice was raspy at the thought, but strong all the same. “I wouldn't give up that feeling for the world.”

I waited until Sarah came out of the shop, looking prettier than possible. Sarah had long dirty blonde curls that only princesses from Disney movies seemed to possess; which led me to ask where her castle was the day I met her. She had crystal blue eyes that held more happiness than possible. Sometimes it was like Sarah was royalty, being so innocent and naïve to the world around her. Her miscarriage seemed to bring her to reality.

“Did you get it?” I asked, eyeing the red bag slung over her forearm. It looked small and petite, a lot like Sarah herself.

“Even better.” She pulled a small square box out and handed it to me. “I hope caramel is okay with you.” She encouraged me to take the gift.

“You know I don’t celebrate Valentines Day.” Despite that I took the chocolates, not being able to resist caramel, which she very well knew.

She pulled me into a one handed embrace. “C’mon, Beth, you’re seventeen. You need some sweets in your life.” If only she knew what kind of “sweets” I was receiving. I popped a piece of chocolate in my mouth to avoid answering.

We began walking in the fifty degree weather, which was too cold to wear the usual tanks and flip flops. Sarah insisted I spend the beginning of Valentines Day with her picking a gift out for Colin until he got off work tonight.

“Wait a minute.” I focused on licking the caramel off the roof of my mouth. “What about you’re present for Colin?”

Sarah revealed a half smile, meaning she was up to something. “I got it a month ago. You know me better than to procrastinate.”