Chapter 2

Destin's POV

'Mr. Jones, I am Mrs. Tiles. Puh-lease find a seat.' Mrs. Tiles said in her squeaky voice.

I find Payge next to a bejeweled girl. I try to find the closest seat, but only end up across the room.

A tall boy with flippy hair walks in.

'Fen! You are late again! Puh-lease get to your seat!' Mrs. Tiles screamed making everyones eardrums burst.

'Yes Mrs. Tiles.' he said as he walked to his seat which was right next to Payge. Why hadn't I found that seat?

I slap myself on the forehead causing everyone to look at me.

'Do you have a problem?' Mrs. Tiles commanded.

'No ma'am.' I stutter.

I heard snickers from Fen and some other boys.

'Would you puh-lease be quiet!' Mrs. Tiles yelled at Fen and the boys.

'Yes ma'am.' they say slinking into their chairs.

'Now puh-lease get back to your work.'

The children groan. Mrs. Tiles frowned an unearthly frown.

'Page 138' was written on the board. I flipped through the mathbook to find a jumbled mess. I try to act normal, but my eyes keep flipping out. My body is tense and I start to get frantic.

'Have a problem, Mr. Jones?' Mrs. Tiles says while moving her stout body to meet my desk.

I quivered a smile.

'Um, I-I have d-dylexia.' I stutter out trying to think of an excuse.

'Do you need to go to special ed?' Mrs. Tiles says loudly and like it wasn't a big deal. Many students lifted their heads.

'Um no.' I replied. Ugh I am so stupid!

I start working, but I barely know math. I kept a strained face.

I am from a country town that barely taught anything.

It only taught me coal mining.

And my power.