Theo

Elise walked up to gate. Shrouded in a heavy woollen cape, and carrying one small bundle of clothing with her. Hearing the windows of Scarborough House bang behind her she started, fearing her father or one of the servants had noticed her leaving. She breathed a sigh of relief when she saw it was only the wind, and slipped away into the street.

She was slight in stature and very slim, but curvy. Elise had tried - unsuccessfully - to hide her figure under her cape. She knew all too well how many young maids had fallen prey to the many vagabonds lurking in dark alleys.

It was a cold and misty morning. The perfect day to leave. To flee. Elise's father, the Duke of Scarborough had engaged her to the Earl of Lancaster - a fat, ugly man, 50 years her senior. At 18, Elise didn't fancy being tied down to an old crank who was likely to die sooner or later. "Hopefully sooner!" She muttered under her breath.

She hated her father for forcing such a hideous betrothal on her. So she was taking matters into her own hands and was leaving. Where to? Well, that she didn't know yet, but anywhere would be better than staying home and being married.

Elise walked for hours. Thankfully, Scarborough House was situated very near the woods, and she could simply vanish in them. The Duke would want to send out dogs of course, but it would be too late by the time he was aware that she wasn't staying with her aunt in Bath.

It was nearly dark before Elise stopped to realise that she had no plans on where to stay the night. And her food was all but gone. "Blast!" She yelled, "I HATE that whey-faced tub of -"

"That's not very ladylike language," came a voice from around the other side of the tree. Elise walked over to the voice. There was a young man sitting upon the grass. Upon closer inspection, his foot appeared to stuck in a trap. He would have been handsome with his sky blue eyes and brown hair, if he had not been so horribly dirty.

"Oh heavens!" She cried, "What have you done? Who are you? Why are you in the middle of the forest? Oh you poor thing!! Are you alright? Oh dear, can I help you??"

He laughed softly, "My name is Theo, I've caught my foot in this dashed trap. I'm living here... for now at least. I'm alright for now, I was lucky enough to be wearing my thickest boots when the bloo- ... dashed trap caught me by surprise. As for helping me, well, that remains to be seen if you can."

"Oh do let me help. How can I get you out of there?"

"Well now, if you can run to my little cabin - just run right ahead, and you can't miss it. Hanging on the back of the door is a metal tool with a hook on the end. Bring that, and then we'll see if we can get this dashed trap open."

Elise ran, and after a few minutes was back with the tool. "Now, you hush and let me get you out of there. I didn't practically bring up the chambermaid's sons for nothing."

Theo sighed, "at least tell me something about the very unusual outburst I witnessed just before. And answer your own questions too, if you please."

"My name is Elise. I am in the forest for safety reasons, beginning with a betrothal that I refuse to let happen. I'm utterly lost and have nowhere to stay for the night, and nothing to eat, and at this rate I'll never make it to America."

"This.... betrothal..... age reasons??"

"Oh yes, well... he's 68. 50 years older than me. There we go. Your foot is safe." Theo cried out as he tried to stand up. Elise gave him her hand. "Lean on me you poor darling."

"You're certainly working wonders on destroying my ego milady. You're staying with me for the night."

"Oh that's very kind, but I'm not sure that's such a good idea."

"Elise, please, I know we just met, but do keep in mind that I can't stand up without you. I couldn't do you any harm even if I wanted to."

"Well... I'll see. I might be able to make a shelter outside instead."

"Good luck with that. All the wood is in the wood cellar, just under the house. Full to the brim with wood."

Elise scowled. "I'm sleeping on the floor. And if you touch me, I swear on my grandfather's grave that I will cut off your -"

"Calm down woman I'm not going to touch you! Good lord, your hair matches your temper. Now come on and help me into bed so I can rest this bloo- DASHED foot."