Prologue; 00

❝ She's like the moon, part of her was always hidden.❞

☆☆☆

If you have it, you want to share it, but when you share it, you no longer have it...

secret

/ˈsiːkrɪt/

noun

noun: secret; plural noun: secrets

1. something that is kept or meant to be kept unknown or unseen by others.

But to keep a secret a secret we all have to lie, and when you tell lies, you become a liar.

liar

/ˈlʌɪə/

noun

noun: liar; plural noun: liars

1. a person who tells lies.

People lie. They all do.

Mostly for the same reason; to keep a secret a secret. We all have told lies, whether it's if we made our homework, telling others we're okay when we're not, telling your best friend she looks good in that dress or to protect our deepest darkest secret.

Lying is bad, that's common knowledge, from a young age you've always been told to always tell the truth. That the truth is good.

Now that, that's a lie.

Even the smallest lie can have the biggest impact. However, if you lie and you do it correct then there's nothing to worry about.

At least, that's what Avery Blackthorn thought.

Only later on did she learn the consequences, that's when that bitch called karma comes and makes all the bad things you've ever done bite back.

Lying is playing with fire. However, it can be both the water and fire, sometimes a lie ceases the burn other times the truth does so. It all depends on your words.

That doesn't mean lies have to be words. Pure silence is an honest lie.

Because nothing haunts us like the things we don't say.

Lying remains a sin, but is lying really that bad? What if you do it protect somebody from a horrible fate? If you do it because you don't want to hurt someone's feeling?

They say knowledge is power. Avery calls it a weapon. That weapon, however, remains a burden, one that she carries alone because a secret is not a secret once it's shared.

She wasn't always like this; a cold-hearted, cunning, manipulative, compulsive liar.

Everything happens for a reason.