Chapter 2

Logan screamed as he jolted awake. He looked around the room frantically for the beast, but luckily it was nowhere in sight. It was all just a nightmare. 'That was a little too real for me.' Logan thought. Sighing, he laid back on the bed and looked at the clock on his bedside table. It read 5:30 A.M and he groaned in annoyance. He rolled over and sat up in bed. Wiping his face, he gave a yawn and stretched, releasing some of the sleepiness. Logan managed to haul himself out of the bed and, with effort, climbed into the shower. Cold water blasted from the nozzle, causing Logan to step back and avoid the "freezing" water. "Shit!" He exclaimed as he worked to get the water warm.

He finally showered in semi-warm water. After getting dressed, he pulled his long hair into a ponytail, and went to fix his tie when he noticed a sticky note he had placed on the mirror the night before. It read 'Meeting today at 7:00.' "I got time." He mumbled as he edged out the door.

He sat in his car, thinking about how much he didn't want to go to work today. But then, a new thought crossed his mind: Amy. They had met 4 years ago whenever he first joined GenTech and ever since then there had been a bond between them. Most of the workers joked about the two of them, but neither were sure if they meant it or not. But one thing was for certain: Amy was a major reason he got up for work every day. He managed a half smile as he drove away.

Traffic was heavy as he went to work, even for 6:20 in the morning. But what was to be expected from a big city? Especially one like Seattle. It may not be the biggest city ever, but it had a large population tied to its name. Even then, Logan was able to weave through traffic. He eventually pulled up to the GenTech building after fighting with traffic. He checked his watch and his jaw dropped when he saw the time: 6:56 AM. "Oh crap!" He cried, leaping from the car.

Logan ran to the door and hurried up the stairs once he clocked in. He burst into the main office to find the conference room shut. 'Just act natural.' He thought.

With a deep breath, he entered the conference room. Mr. Nicholson turned once he heard the door shut. "Ah. Mr. Erickson. How nice of you to join us." He said.

"I'm really sorry, Mr. Mason." Logan explained, "Traffic wasn't on my side this morning."

"That's quite alright." Mr. Mason replied, waving it off, "I was more concerned if you'd make it or not. Have a seat. We're ready to begin."

With a nod of respect, Logan took his seat next to Luke Storm, one of the few friends he had. "GenTech has never been more successful." Mr. Mason began, "With new projects on the horizon, I'm confident that we'll be back on the charts in no time."

On the screen behind him, a graph appeared. It showed two bars. The green bar was representing GenTech. The blue bar was representing their competitor: Genetic Labs. "As you can see,  BioLabs has been in the lead for about two years now." He continued, "I believe this new project is exactly what we need for us to finally pass them."

After a pause he turned to Logan. "Is your team ready to begin?" He asked.

"Well we're ready. We're just finishing our data gathering as we speak." He answered.

Mr. Mason raised an eyebrow. "How's that?" He asked.

"Ms. Hall and Mr. Adams are downstairs finishing that up while we're in here." Luke explained, "If I'm not mistaken, they're finishing or already finished by now."

"Let's hope you aren't mistaken." Mr. Mason said, "If we fail, GenTech may be shut down, and BioLabs may become the world's leading genetic lab in Seattle."

Then Mr. Mason checked his watch. They were making progress. They had 20 minutes left. "Now....let's focus on our other projects." He began, "The nanotechnology is being revolutionised and is currently being..."

But Logan had already zoned out hoping to go downstairs to work on their project. Luke shared the same desire. But they sat and respectfully, although distracted, tried to listen to Mr. Mason's lecture. Finally, he finished and they were released. "That was the longest 20 minutes of my life." Luke muttered.

"Agreed. Let's go see the progress down in the basement shall we?" Logan replied.