Chapter 5

(A/N: Sorry about the hiatus ive had a bunch of stuff thrown at me over the past few months and im getging back time now. sorry for the wait)

"Hey, think fast!" The basketball slammed my brother in the head making him fall to the ground. "What the hell, June?!" One of the kids nearby shouted. "Sorry man, he just wasn't thinking fast enough." June shrugged. I helped Jake up. What he did next is what scared me. He took the ball and whipped it back at June. It smashed into her abdomen, sending her backwards. "Why'd you do that?!" I shouted at him. "She threw it at me." He replied.

Logic of seven year olds never ceases to amaze. I was flipping through old photo albums of me and my brother. My head still throbbed from untold reasons and I had just woken up. Drew was gone by the time I was up but my mom left a note telling me she had walked her home. I rolled off the couch and made my way to the kitchen. The house felt abandoned now and the rooms were darker. I flipped the light switch letting bright light flood the room and I pulled the switch down again. I settled for the desk lamp on the counter and chose an orange from the basket of fruit beside said lamp.  I heard knocks on the back door followed by a familiar "Hey." I nodded back at her. "Your parents are at the station, you got your mom's note?" I nodded again. "You gonna talk to me?" She stepped in and pulled the door shut behind her. "Sure." I whispered back. "Orange?" I offered her a slice. She smiled and walked around, jumping up onto the counter and resting her head on my shoulder. "Just like when we were kids, huh?" I said almost silently, I felt her head move in agreeance. "Yeah."