(2 1/2)

I plunked meself on the sofa with my bowl of mint chip ice cream and flipped through the channels on the tv while Ed walked around the house talking to someone on the phone. I continued looking for something to watch, but zoned out a little so I could hear snippets of Ed's conversation.

"I've got one.. Really good.. Quite recently.. Guitar.. I think.. Soon enough.. You should see.. Impressive.."

As I heard Ed get closer to the living room, I turned my attention back to the telly, which, quite coincidentally, I had just switched over to The X Factor. The auditions seemed to be this week, and I watched the next singer take the stage as Ed took a spot next to me.

"Good show." He commented.

"Definitely." I replied, my eyes still glued to the screen, "Somehow they always manage to find the most talented singers. I wish I could audition. Just to see what it's like, y'know?"

"I don't see why you'd want to audition. You're well off as it is."

I turned to Ed with an exasperated look. "Well off?! How am I well off in any way? I have hardly got any money, barely enough possessions to fill a backpack, no home, no job, and I haven't even gone to Uni yet! Nobody wants to hire a girl who hasn't been to University. That show could practically save me." I cried, dying down at the last sentence.

Ed gently pulled me into a hug, and put his chin on my shoulder as he comforted me. After a few seconds, he pulled back to looks at me.

"I'm sorry, Ari. I didn't mean to upset you. It'a just that," he paused for a few seconds, probably trying to figure out how he wanted to word whatever he was going to say. "What I mean is that you've already got a home and job. Soon enough you'll earn loads of money, and until then, I can help you buy some things. You don't need that show!"

I mulled over what he said, but didn't quite understand.

"But I- I haven't got a home... Nor a job." My words came out very slowly,as if I was still figuring what he meant.

It was clear that Ed understood my confusion, and he jumped to explain.

"Well, you live here now. I'm going to help you pay for some new possessions, and then you've got your job."

"But I don't understand! I don't have a job!" I quickly grew more frustrated, trying to understand, but coming up short.

"Of course you have a job! You work with me!" Ed grinned.

"I do?" I cocked my head to the side, intrigued that I was getting answers.

"Yes, you do."

"Oh, but what do I... what do I do?"

"You sing."

"You've got to be joking."

I blinked rapidly, held my breath, pinched myself, and did anything else I could think of to test that I was awake. Luckily enough, I was, and Ed was still sitting in front of me wearing an amused smile.

"I'm totally serious about this." He laughed.

"So I get to sing. With you. On stage. And even get paid for it?" I questioned, almost shrieking.

"Well, not exactly-" Ed started, scratching the back of his neck.

"I knew it was too good to be true." I sighed dejectedly.

"Hey, don't worry, Ari. You'll still be singing. On stage. And you'll be getting paid. You just won't be singing with me." He assured.

"I won't?" I whimpered.

"I'm afraid not, love. Because you're going to be my opening act."

•••

Author's Note:

I know what you're thinking: why so short? That is because this was a VERY important part of the story. So important that it got it's own chapter. But I called it 2 1/2 because it wasn't worthy of being chapter 3, even if it is very important.

Do you want to know why this is even more important that you think? It is because

1. I said so

2. It just is

And 3. This is where you say "I get it!" about the title. This story is called 'Just the Beginning' because Ariana is "just" the beginning of the concert. Or the beginning act. Most people call it the opener. But do you get it?

The last pig piece of information is that I'm thinking Jenna-Louise Coleman should be cast as Ari. What do you all think? Thumbs up? Down? Indecisive?

This is not big information, but I want to know what makes you interested in a story or what you like reading about. So leave your answer to that in the comments, and I'll see YOU next time.

*Rosey <3*

P.s. I will probably update again this weekend, or this time next week!