English Narrative Prompt for TKAM

This has been turned in and it was over a year ago. We had to write a story based off a photo we found from the time of the Great Depression. It's also supposed to be the middle of a story, a snapshot of life so it doesn't seem very complete. This was also around the time I was only really writing dialogue so yeah.  The photo at the end is what this was written for.

Grade: 28/30 (I think)

It feels like a million degrees out. This sign is heavy and giving me splinters. There are a ton of people here. They're all holding signs just like me. I can't read any of them though. Some grown-ups and bigger kids are yelling things Mama would scold me for saying. One of the older boys stepped on my foot and it really hurts now.The sun is burning my face too. My shirt is wet and gross from all of the sweat. There's a good reason that I'm out here though, and it's to help my papa get a job so he can feed my siblings and me.

    Across the street there is a girl that looks like she's the the same age as  my brother, Johnnie. She was holding a sign just like me, but I still couldn't read it. I walked over and poked her arm.

    "Do you know what this sign says?" I asked. She looked down to me and tilted her head with a curious look before realizing that I said something.

    "Oh," she said after about a minute, "the sign says, 'Why can't you give my dad a job?'" I nodded and thanked her. "What's your name?"

    "I'm Tommy." I told her. "What's yours?"

    "My name is Janice, but most call me Jan." She smiled sweetly at me. "Where are your parents?"

    I pointed to Johnnie and Mama. Janice smiled and told me to go back to them. I waved goodbye to her and went back to my mom and brother.

 I waved goodbye to her and went back to my mom and brother