Chapter II

Hazel's P.O.V.

Inhale. Exhale. This is it. I went out of the bus and saw the building that has a "San Francisco Teen Starquest" tarpauline. I saw many people that looked like my age. They looked like they are very good in singing. I felt even more nervous when I heard a girl practicing. She was so good. I realized that I was shaking and sweating very hard. I know I can do it.

A man that looked like a manager informed us that the competition will start in 10 minutes. Everyone started to clean up and fix themselves. I did the same thing, I put a little bit of powder on my face and put my hair into a pony tail. Then I grabbed my little mirror inside my bag and combed my bangs.

Everyone started going inside but I was still sitting on the bench near the door, not wanting to go inside yet. I feel so nervous. This is my first time in joining a big competition. Well, I already joined many singing competitions before but this is different. Many people will be watching. I already experienced this before but why does it feel like something will happen? Something that will change my life forever. It makes me really nervous. Well, whatever happens, happens.

The competition already started and I was at the back stage with all the contestants. I can tell that they are also nervous like me by the looks on their faces. But there was one guy who looked very calm as if he is a professional singer who have done this many times before. He turned his head towards me and smiled. He sat beside me and said "Hey there pretty lady."
"Oh hi." I smiled back at him. "What's your name?" He asked. "Umm, I'm Hazel Shelton. How about you?" I also asked him while looking down at my feet. "I'm Matthew McGarden. So, how do you feel? Do you feel nervous?" He asked me again. I didn't realize that he was asking me something. I was staring at his gorgeous eyes. It was like a water that has a reflection of a star. It was so beautiful. And also his smile, it was so angelic. My heart was beating so fast and then suddenly I heard him calling my name. "Hazel? Hazel? Earth to Hazel?" He called my name many times. "Oh, umm, I-I'm s-s-sorry. What were you asking again?" Damn, I'm stuttering. He chuckled and said "Oh it's nothing." I smiled at him sheepishly.

And then I heard the manager called number 1024. I realized that it was me so I stood up and bid goodbye to Matthew. "Good Luck Hazel!" He showed his cool smile at me again. Then I said, "Thanks!"

Breathe. Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale. You can do it, Hazel. I know you can.