How We Are

I awake with a start and sit up straight in my bed.

It was all just a bad dream.

"Dan!" I hear a surly yell from the kitchen.

"What?" I screech in reply.

"Come here!" Phil demands.

I stretch my arms over my head while a yawn escapes my mouth. I swing my legs out of the bed and place my feet on the ground extending myself to my full 6'0 frame. I walk to the mirror and look at my reflection.

My wavy, brown hair was anything but tidy from the restless night. If you aren't careful you could mistake me for a raccoon because of the deep, dark circles around my brown eyes.

"Dan!" Phil calls me again.

"I'm coming!" I drag my feet across the floor into the lounge. "What?"

"Why do you keep replying to all the malign comments on our videos and in such a insulting way?" He's visibly upset.

"Firstly, I only replied to the comments on the video on my channel. Second, since it is on my channel it's my video not ours, Phil. And third, what does my replies have to do with you?" I'm fuming and ready to go on a tirade. I can't believe he'd make me come all the way out here just to fuss at me!

"I'm in the video! That affects me. People are gonna get bogus ideas that I think the same things that you reply!" I can tell his rage is coming to its apex and mine is too.

"You know what? That's your problem. If you don't like the way I run my channel then maybe you just shouldn't be on it!"

"Fine, Dan. I wouldn't want to make another video with you anyway. Especially when you're being a little butt hole like right now."

"I don't have to take this, Phil! I'm leaving, you spoon!" With that, I storm out of the main area back into my bedroom.

I collapse onto my bed and before I can stop them, tears inundate my eyes.

Why does this always happen? I can't even do something as simple as walking into the kitchen without it blowing up like it did. I can never get any peace in my own flat.

After about 20 minutes I hear the front door open and then close with a slam. He must have gone for a walk to clear his head. Gradually, all my sadness and anger turns to tiredness and my eyes get heavy...