1

"It's okay, Kendall, you got this," I whisper to myself as I tug at my long-sleeve shirt. I stared down at the new shipment of books that had just arrived and were waiting to be sorted and put up. My body was on fire, creaking at every little move I made as if it were trying to tear its self apart; although I wouldn't be surprised if it were.
After about two hours I had successfully sorted all of the new arrivals while checking some people out, and tending to other needs.
"Now, for the fun part," I half whispered to myself, as I started going through the stack of books and choosing the ones I wanted to read first. I only had five or so books from this shipment that really caught my eye; I slid them into the drawer that had my name on it and then locked it.
"Excuse me, miss?" I turned around, tucking my blonde hair behind my ear and smiling.
"Hello, how can I help you today?" I asked. This guy was tall, slightly tanned skin and shoulder length brown hair. I slightly recognized him, but I definitely did not want to be right so I just played along.
"Kendall, Seriously? Do you not recognize your own flesh and blood?" Jared said, taking off his sunglasses, making me laugh.
"What are you doing here?" I asked, walking around the bar and giving him a hug. The only person I could ever really tolerate in my family was this guy right here.
"I came to see you, little one" He said, rustling my hair a little. I smiled.
"You wanna come hang out with me, while I work?" I rhetorically asked, going back to the other side of the counter.
"Actually yes, Jensen can handle his own at my parents house," Jared chuckled, sliding over the counter.
"So how are you, baby cousin?" he asked, making himself quite comfortable in the other chair.
"I've seen better days, but I honestly can't complain," I lied. I had seen better days, but I could complain.
"How are you, Mr. Superstar," I giggled, sitting in my seat. There were only a few customers in the store, but they were all regulars that just come in to read or study.
"So glad that I have a break from shooting, just in time for the reunion," he wiggled his eyebrows at me.
"What reunion?" I asked, focusing on the computer screen. I knew exactly what reunion he was talking about, I had received several Facebook and text messages about it, but I never responded to any of them. They would all get butthurt when I tell them I'm not going, so instead I'll let them be butthurt later when I just don't show up. I owe myself that.
"The family reunion? Tomorrow? Seriously, Ken, are you not going?"
"Probably not, I'm super busy," I said, glancing at him. I hated making him upset.
"Oh, yeah, because this store is so packed," he joked, but it secretly stung my heart.
"I don't know if you recall or not, but I don't typically like our family, Jared. We're not all big-shot, hollywood stars like you. They don't deserve me." I whispered the last part, printing out the priced stickers for the books.
"You're right, they don't, but I do. Please, my best friend came with me and it would be cool of you to meet him. He's going through a rough divorce and honestly you are the only one that might lift his spirits right now." he sighed, running his fingers through his hair.
"Why? Am I a hook up or something because you know I'm not into that," I said as my arms twitched and pulled my sleeves down longer so I didn't feel as exposed.
"No, Kendall," he chuckled, "because you are really cool and down to earth and honestly someone he would be friends with, and I think right now that's what he needs."
"Hand me those books," I said, sighing slightly as I marked them with the tags and scanned them through the beeper to activate them.
"This is a lot to ask of me," I whispered, "But sure, as long as you don't leave my side,"
"Deal." He smirked, shaking my hand.
After another hour or so, he had to leave to go rescue his friend from the suffocating clutches of our family. I finally put all of the books back where they needed to be on the shelves, alphabetically. After another hour or so, I grabbed the books from my drawer and set them in my bag before closing up the shop. I had to shower immediately and make sure I had sufficient amount of sleep, one yawn and my family will nag until the world implodes.

"Fucking great," I mumbled, sliding into my bed.