Chapter 1

Kayla's POV
***
I jolted awake in my bed. I had the same recurring dream as I always do. In the dream my boyfriend, Mick, would hit me and kick me. He would tell me I didn't deserve anyone; that I was worthless. It always ended the same way: he would hold a gun to my head. Right before he would pull the trigger I would wake up. I never made it to the end, and I don't think I want to.

I ran my fingers through my hair. I reached over to grab my phone with trembling hands. I looked at the time. 8:47. I groaned and sat up in my bed. I swung my legs over the side of my bed and contemplated whether I should just crawl back into bed or take a shower. I decided to get up and get ready for the day. I didn't have anything planned. I would probably hang out with Mick. He would never hit me, it was all just a dream.

I got out of bed and dragged myself into the bathroom. I turned on the water and undressed. 15 minutes later I had taken my shower and brushed my hair. My brown hair was down to my lower back. After contemplating what to do with it, I finally decided to pull my hair up in a messy bun. I dressed myself in my black genes and red sweater. It was cold outside since it was October.

I walked down my stairs to go make myself breakfast. To my surprise, breakfast was already made. I felt hands go over my eyes.

"Guess who?" Said the mystery man.

I turned around and kissed my boyfriend on the cheek.

"I made you breakfast." Mick said.

"I can see that!" I say with a giggle.

I walk over to the table and sit down. As soon as I started to eat I felt hands go around my waist. "I love you" Mick said. He's being awfully nice today.

"I love you, too." I reply. I finish eating breakfast and put my plate in the dishwasher.

"So do you have any plans for today?" Mick questioned me.

"No," I reply "we can do whatever you want."

"Okay because I was thinking of maybe having some of the guys over."

"Oh." I say, with a pinch of disappointment.

"You haven't met one of my friends, but he has a sister just a bit older than you. I can tell him to bring her so you two can hang out." He says, trying to cheer me up.

"That'd be great." I say with a smile. He walks over to his phone and picks it up. He's texting who I am assuming is his friend. Right away he gets a text back.

"He's bringing her over." He says. I nod and walk into my room.

~
I heard the door bell ring and about 5 or 6 of Mick's friends came running into the living room. After I regained my balance I saw a blonde boy who I had never met before. A girl was trailing behind him, she seemed to have a skip in her step.

She ran up to me. "Hi I'm Rydel!" She happily said.

"Hi I'm Kayla." I reply back. I think I'm going to like this girl. The boy then walked up to me.

"Hi, I'm Ross. I'm Rydel's brother." He said, extending his hand out for me to shake. I accepted his offer and gently shook his hand.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Kayla." After the introductions I led Rydel up to my room.

"I like your room!" Rydel complimented.

"Thanks." I reply. We sit around just talking about random stuff and doing our nails. After about 2 hours Rydel announces that she has to leave. I tell her goodbye and say that we need to hang out again soon. After she leaves I walk downstairs to see that Mick and only two of his friends are left: Ross and another guy.

"I'm going to head home man, bye." The guy announces. I make my way down the rest of the stairs and sit on the couch beside Mick.

"I'm gonna go too, bye." Ross says. We wave goodbye and once Ross leaves Mick turns to me.

"Thanks a lot." He says with an attitude.

"What did I do?" I innocently ask. I had no idea what he was talking about.

"You came down here and made them leave!"

"I didn't do anything!" I defended.

"Right when you came down here they left!" I don't know why he is getting so angry. Our argument then became heated and we were yelling at the top of our lungs.

And then Mick did something that made my nightmares come true. He hit me.

Yay so that's it! I know it's not very good, but I'd appreciate feedback. I'm not sure how many people, if any, are going to read this. So yeah, if you are reading this thanks! The girl I pictured Kayla as is in the cover photo (I'll put more pics of her up) and her name is Vanessa Merrell!