Chapter 2

Picture of Vanessa Merrill is above (how I pictured Kayla)
~

Kayla's POV
                               ***
I fell to the floor as soon as his hand made contact with my face. The abuse continued for the next three months. I never told anyone, I was too scared. He would threaten to hurt me or my family. He once held a gun to my head because I didn't answer my phone when he called or tell him where I was going. In the beginning he would apologize after he would hit me. Now he's stopped apologizing all together. I don't know how much of this I can take.

The slam of a car door pulled me from my thoughts. Mick was home. My heart beat suddenly quickened and I became scared of what he would do. I saw him walk through the door, but he wasn't alone. I recognized the other person he had come in with: Ross.

He waved at me when he saw me. "Hey Kayla."

"Hey." I quietly replied. Mick glared at me, he didn't like me talking to other guys.

"We're going to watch the game." Mick stated. That was my hint to leave.

I walked over to the stairs and went in my room. I sat on my bed and realized I left my phone downstairs. I got up and walked into the hall. On my way to the stairs I bumped into someone. I hid my face behind my hands in fear that Mick was going to slap me. I looked up after a few seconds and saw that the person I bumped into wasn't Mick, but Ross.

"Sorry, I was looking for the bathroom." He explained.

"It's okay, it's just right around the corner." I said as I pointed to the bathroom.

"Thanks." He started to walk off, but stopped and turned to me. "Why were you hiding your face?" He asked.

"I- uh." I stuttered.

"Kayla, it's okay to tell me." He said.

I looked down at the ground and didn't speak for a long time. He sighed and finally gave up and proceeded to make his way to the bathroom. I went back in my room and laid on my bed until I heard Ross leave. I tiptoed downstairs to retrieve my phone. I grabbed it and ran back up stairs. I bumped into someone yet again, and this time I knew it was Mick.

He looked down at me and grabbed my wrist. He yanked me up and slapped me right across the face.

"You little slut!" He yelled at me, making me shrink down. "I see the way you look at him! Nobody like him would ever love a worthless piece of shit like you!" He spat at me.

"We're through Mick! I'm sick of you hitting me and treating me like shit!" I yelled back. He scoffed at me and then grabbed my hair and slammed my head against the wall. I began to feel dizzy and my vision went blurry.

"Mick!" Someone yelled. That was the last thing I heard before everything went black.

Ross' POV
"Sorry, I was looking for the bathroom." I said as I looked down at Kayla. She's so beautiful, but she's also not mine. I would never disrespect my friend like that.

"It's okay," She softly replied. "It's just around the corner." She said pointing.

"Thanks." I said and started towards the bathroom. "Why were you hiding your face?" I asked.

"I- uh." She obviously didn't want to tell me.

"Kayla, it's okay to tell me." I said. She didn't reply for a long time so I sighed and gave up. I made my way to the bathroom and did my business. I went back down to Mick to see that the game was over. I wasn't really into football all that much.

"See ya later, man." Mick said as I put my shoes on and opened the door.

"Bye." I replied. I headed towards my car and reached in my pocket to get my keys out, but felt nothing.

I cursed under my breath as I walked back up the driveway and to the door. I heard yelling as I approached the door. I silently opened it to find Mick yelling at Kayla who was against a wall. I was about to interfere, but Mick grabbed Kayla's hair and hit her head against the wall.

"Mick!" I yelled as I came the rest of the way through the door. "What the fuck?"

"Great." He mumbled under his breath. This wasn't the Mick that had been my best friend since kindergarten.

I glanced at Kayla to see her passed out on the floor with blood in her hair. I ran over to her and picked her up and gently placed her on the couch. I heard the door slam and saw Mick getting in his car. I ran to the bathroom and wet a cloth to put on Kayla's head. I gently placed the cloth on her head and got an icepack for when she wakes up. She started to stir and her eyes fluttered open.

"What happened?" She questioned, frantically looking around. She lifted her hand to her head as the realization hit her.

"I broke up with him." She said as a tear slid down her face. "That's why he got mad, it's all my fault."

"It's not your fault at all." I said. She stayed quite for a bit until I spoke up. "Is that why you hid your face? You thought I was Mick, didn't you?" I asked.

She just nodded as more tears flowed down her face. "It's been going on for three months." She managed to get out. I stood there in shock.

"Why didn't you tell anyone?" I said as I wiped away some of her tears.

"I was too scared." She said. I stayed silent after that.

"My head hurts." She whimpered

"I'll get you some medicine." I said before walking into the kitchen. I opened the cabinet and grabbed some ibuprofen. I walked back into the living room and handed her the tablets. She gladly took them and then cuddled into the couch. I stayed there and watched her sleeping body. She's so beautiful and kind, I don't know why Mick would risk someone as great as her. I leaned my head on my arm and I too fell asleep.

Yay chapter two! I hope you guys like it and I would really appreciate feedback. Thanks bye!