Chapter 7

I take deep breaths, holding my oxygen mask to my face. I'm in my room by myself.

Suddenly, I hear footsteps walking towards my room. It doesn't sound like the doctors, or anyone else's. I take deep breaths hoping they walk past.

Eric walks in my room. He looks completely different. He dyed his hair brown and is wearing glasses. I'm stunned to see him here.

"Hi Bailey." He hovers by the door. "Can we talk?"

I move the mask for a moment so I can speak. "Come in. I'm not busy." I hold the mask back to my face.

He walks over and sits on the edge of my bed by my legs.

"Are you ok?" He asks.

I nod.

"Was this because of Mel?"

I shake my head.

"I could've stopped her from pushing you. She's intimidating." He looks down and sighs.

I look at him, taking deep breaths.

"Can you tell me why?" He looks up to meet my eyes.

I take a final deep breath before I take the mask off and hold it in my hands.

"I don't want to be here. I don't want to suffer any more. I thought no one would miss me. My parents left. I'm all the family my sister has." I admit.

"No matter what, someone will miss you, Bailey." Eric sighs.

"I'm still not fully convinced."

"I'd miss you. I'd feel guilty for not standing up for you..." He looks down.

"Melanie isn't the worst I've had to deal with." I put the oxygen mask back on.

"I just wanted to come here to apologize and see if you'd forgive me." He looks back up. This has been really nothing him.

I nod.

He smiles slightly and stands up. He hands me a piece of paper. "Call me if you ever need me, alright?" He says.

I nod once again. He leaves my room and I lay down. I put the paper on my side table. I strap the oxygen mask around my head so it won't fall off while I sleep.

***********
~10 days ago~
*Jenn*

I sigh. Bailey has been ignoring me for two days. Dylan has called the house phone a few times. I keep telling him that she doesn't want to talk.

There's a knock on the door. It's probably Dylan again. I sigh again and walk over.

I open the door to see a guy I don't know standing behind it. I'm speechless when I see him.

He smiles brightly. "Hi, you must be Jenn. I'm Dallas."

I blush slightly. I've never met a guy who's smile made me blush like this.

"You a friend of Bailey?" I ask.

"I am." He smiles. Can I see her?"

"She's not taking visitors." I look down, rubbing my arm. "She won't even talk to me..."

I feel his hand touch my shoulder. He hand slides down my shoulder, then my arm. He grabs my hand. "Let me take you out for ice cream."

I look up and I smile slightly. "I'd like that.

***************

~Present day~
*Bailey*

I smile at Dylan who is sitting by my feet rubbing my leg over the blanket.

"I see they let you back in" I chuckle softly. I'm wearing an oxygen nose tube now, instead of the mask.

"I fought by way back in to see you." He smiles.

"I didn't like when you were gone..." I look down slightly.

"Nothing bad happened. Right?" He asks.

"Eric stopped by." I speak softly.

"What?" His smile fades. He's starting to look angry. "That bastard..."

"Huh?" I tilt my head.

"I told him to stay away from you." He lifts his hand of my leg and gets up. "I need to have a word with him."

"Dylan, don't go. Stop getting in fights. Leave it alone." I grab his hand. "Deal with this later..."

"Fine." He sits back down, closer to the head of my bed. "Only because you asked nicely."

*****************

A few days have gone by. I'm at school. Dylan won't leave my side.

"You don't have to follow me, Dylan." I say.

"I know." He smiles.

"You have your own classes to go to." I put my binder in my locker.

He hugs me from behind, resting his chin on the top of my head.

I smile. "Fine, don't go yet."

He chuckles. "What if I want to go now?"

I turn my head and I look at him. "You don't wanna go." I smile.

He turns me around and leans me against the locker, looking down at me. I blush. He sets his hands on my waist.

"What are you doing?" I blush, wrapping my arms around his neck.

He grins. Without saying a word he kisses me softly. I kiss him back, blushing. His arms wrap around my waist, resting on the small of my back.

We hold the kiss for a moment before he pulls back, still holding me close.

"There." He grins. "Bailey, will you be my girlfriend?"

I smile and nod, speechless.

"I'll protect you." He kisses my forehead.

I hug him tightly and he hugs back.