Chapter 2 - Followed

HASAKI

The wind blew in my face, causing my hair to swing back and forth. I knew that every step against nature was just another step towards fulfilling my destiny. The lingering memory of the sword smith’s daughter was still freshly implanted in the back of my mind. I could still remember when I knocked on the door. The first things I saw were enclosed slippers. As my gaze had trailed up the kimono, I saw myself standing in front of a girl. Her dark flowing hair was tied in a strange way, encasing her small oval-shaped face. Loose strands hugged her cheeks and the rest fell down to her back. Gazing into her eyes, their color baffled me. They seemed to be violet, making very little sense. Humans did not carry the trait to produce such a color.

No. The moon light and the heavy rain were just bent on fooling my eyes as when I had seen her inside the house, they were black. Despite realizing the tricks of nature, there was something about her; a faint pressure radiating from her. Like her aura was speaking its own language.

What was her name?

Sutoraiki Ayia.

I couldn’t help but wonder why I felt as if that girl was trying to drag out my stay. It was not for hospitality, of that I was sure. I almost felt her need to accomplish something.

Why? I didn't know.

But I could not be bothered to think about it. Every time I thought about her I found it difficult to shake those lingering images attached to her name. I would not let myself get distracted. I could not afford its price; the journey that lied ahead was too dangerous for even a fraction of a mistake.

I was now cautiously taking each step on the moist ground as its smell encaged me; it was a reminder of how strongly it had rained a couple of hours ago. Puddles were scattered everywhere and truthfully, that itself was a battle. Making sure I did not step in a single puddle as it would cause noise—something I did not wish for. Not until I reached the woods anyway. Then it wouldn't matter as any sound would be disguised as the sound of a wild animal. So, I continued on as a mantra played in my mind.

One step closer to destiny; it was motivation and my determination all put into one. I was strong but after traveling around for years, it was difficult.

Not that I would let anyone see that.

To the world, I would always be known as the self-absorbed, heartless wanderer on a mission to protect something he could care less about.

I sighed. This was not how I wanted the world to see me, but after everything, I lost the part of me that truly cared. Now it was all about the mission.

Suddenly I saw the curve that would lead me deeper into the heart of my destination. I began for it, a smile creeping onto my face. I knew I was ahead of schedule and I could perhaps stroll through calmly. I knew that not being careful, anywhere I went, could very well end my life.

The wind had calmed down, causing the nearby leaves and trees to gently rustle.

Upon entering, I realized the woods had gotten thicker with the humidity oozing from each corner. Pitch-blackness was all that was ahead of me. I could only use my senses to figure out the path. The bark in every tree I passed was crawling with infectious insects. As I continued in deeper the trees became bigger and older, subtly adding volume to the surroundings. Normally this area was safe for travelers but tonight there was a strange feel emanating from it. It must have had something to do with the continuous rain.

Looking at the atmosphere and the large willow trees in the distance brought back a memory I had entrapped within my mind.

“Hasaki,” a smooth voice filled my head. I heard laughter in response. “Hasaki, stop running! Come back here...you will get hurt, child.”

“No I won't, mama,” a younger version of me cried out with a sly smirk. My eyes widened as I recalled this day. “I can do this!”

With that said, he began climbing onto the tree. The misty surroundings made it hard to see but the boy was determined to prove his strength. Even at the mere age of five. He continued higher and higher, aiming to reach the highest point of the beautiful willow tree when he heard a familiar hiss. He stopped in his tracks and slowly looked up.

“Hasaki!” His mother's voice rose out of worry. As if she sensed something was wrong.

“SNAKE!” Hasaki yelled in panic. His heartbeats were raging in anxiety. Distress was all he could sense. “Mama! Snake!”

Fear began lurking into the child's mind and he cried out, “It's going to bite mama!”

Just then the snake sprung downward, its mouth wide open and the child immediately lost his grip.  He closed his eyes, waiting for an impact but it never came. Instead he would smell the sweet scent of someone he loved holding him. Slowly regaining his sight, he saw his mother's grayish black eyes looking down at him with warmth. Out of the corner of his own, he saw the snake fall with a black knife through its head.

“Mama?” he whispered and then clutched onto her hair as he began sobbing. He didn't understand how his mother had managed to grab a hold of him and kill the snake but he didn't care. He knew he was in good hands. “I'm sorry.”

“Shhh,” she tried soothing her child. “It's okay darling, you're safe. I will always keep you safe.”

“Promise?” the child muttered, his head still buried in the nape of her neck.

She caressed his head and said, “For as long as I live, Hasaki. I will always be there for you.”

Like before, I felt nothing as I pushed the memory deep inside once again. To cry over such painful thoughts was pointless. They would only hold me back.

I could hear the crickets' chirps in the distance, reminding me that I was yet again all alone in this cruel world. Fighting everyone's battle for what? I didn't owe them anything. I shouldn't owe them anything. They were all beasts; vicious animals in disguise.

Suddenly a crackling sound was heard, stopping me in my tracks. I looked behind to double check if my thoughts had caused me to create the sound. But no snapped twigs were in sight.

An animal? I wondered, but then my eyes widened in revelation. I closed my eyes and used the vibrations I felt from the ground to double check my theory. It wasn't an animal. I was positive. It wasn't a threat either...if it was they would have realized I sensed their presence and a battle would have broken out. I quickly scanned the person's weight and physique before they realized I had stopped.

After gathering everything mentally, I took a second to figure out who the appearance matched; checked to see if I knew the person. All signs, though, led to one possibility.

This time, I felt like my eyes were about to pop out of their sockets as my fists clenched. “Oh God, she couldn't have....”