Chapter Four James.

After we left the diner, the guys and Cass showed me the rest of the town. We walked up and down different streets. By the time we got back, it was past five and all I wanted to do was lie down.

“We’re home!” Mike hollers from the doorway.

“Good you’re just in time for dinner.” Aunt Jackie tells us sticking her head out of the kitchen.

“Is there enough food for me to join you?” James asked from the door. I jumped, not expecting him to be there. I thought he had left with his sister.

“There’s always enough for one more mouth.” Aunt Jackie told him. Mike and James headed for the kitchen. James turned back.

“Are you coming?” He asked me with a smile.

“In a minute.” I told him and headed for the washroom. Looking in the mirror, I scolded my self. “You idiot. You just met him and you’re putty in his hands.” I growled at myself. “He’s one of your cousin’s best friends.” I splashed water on my face. “He’s not even interested in you.” I told myself, trying to forget how he was always there when I looked. I dried my face and went down to dinner.

Entering the kitchen, I saw that every one was sitting around a table set for five. Aunt Jackie had made my favorite, lasagna with the cheese still gooey. Uncle John and Aunt Jackie sat at the ends, Mike sat on one side by himself and James sat on the other next to the empty seat. Sitting down I said, “You didn’t have to wait for me.”

“Nonsense,” Aunt Jackie said, “here we wait till every one is seated to eat.” I smiled at her.

“And now I can eat.” Mike said, hungrily, reaching for the knife. I smiled as he cut himself a large piece before handing the knife to James. Surprisingly James offered me a piece before helping himself. As we ate, they, Aunt Jackie and Uncle John included, talked of people they all knew and town matters. I half listened not knowing who anyone was. Every now and then, James’ arm would brush mine or his foot would. Every time this happened, I would blush and pull my arm or foot back. When every one had finished Mike burped loudly.

“That’s disgusting.” I told him completely grossed out.

 He smirked at me. “I know.”

“How am I related to a barbarian like you?” I asked myself, “That was a rhetorical questions don’t answer it.” I snapped at him seeing him open his mouth to speak.

“I remember you being nicer.” He fake pouted.

“Oh you pour baby.” I say pretending to feel guilt.

“Enough.” Uncle John says, with a smile. “Mary I know you just got here and undoubtedly you would like to set up your room but would you mind washing the dishes tonight? I need Mikes help in the garage.” He asked me.

“I don’t mind at all.” I told him truthfully. I would never admit this to any one but I like doing house work, or what some men call women’s work. Aunt Jackie cleared off the table and put all the dishes next to the sink for me. Like mom, they didn’t have a dish washer.

“Thanks chick pea,” She said, causing me to blush, and kissed me on the cheek. Mike and Uncle Chuck left the house. I got up and started running the water. Covering a yawn, I put the cups and cutlery in to the sink. Looking around I found a towel that I could use to dry the dishes as I washed them. I reached for it only to have it pulled from my hand. Looking up I saw that James was still here.

“Let me help I’ll dry them you wash them.” He said. I just nodded. For a while, we worked in comfortable silence. Then I accidentally dropped a plate. James grabbed it an inch from the floor. When he saw me staring he just told me “I have really good reflexes.” After that, the silence was a little heavy.

“How did you and Mike meet?” I asked him.

“We were in school together all are lives but we just started hanging out last year.” He told me. Again, we lapsed in to silence. Finally, I handed him the last dish. Drying my hands, I turned to go. “Mary, wait” James said. I turned around to find him right behind me.

Swallowing I asked him, “What?” He stepped closer. Reflexively I backed up a step hitting the counter. Using my arms, I lifted my self up so I sat on it. From here, he was only a few inches taller than me. He came closer so he stood half a step in front of me.

“I was wondering if maybe you would like to go somewhere with me?” He asked me.

Yes, yes, yes! My mind screamed. “Like a date?” I asked him watching his face.

Hope sparked in his eyes. “Yeah kind of just like a date.” He said.

“We just met.” I muttered looking at my knees.

“So?” He asked me closing the distance between us “How better for us to get to know each other?” He put his hands on either side of me, his fingers brushing my hips.

“You’re Mike friend.” I said repeating the arguments I had told myself earlier.

Again, he said “So?” This time his fingers pulled my chin up so I had to meat his eyes. “Please say yes.” He whispered, his thumb running along my jaw line.

Say yes! My brain yelled at me but my tongue wouldn’t work.

“Just a movie.” He said in to my ear, his breath tickling it. Still unable to speak I didn’t move. He pulled back to look into my eyes. “And dinner. That’s all just dinner and a movie.”

“Ok” I whispered.

“What was that?” he asked teasingly.

“Yes I’ll go out with you.” I told him.

“Great I’ll pick you up tomorrow night at six.” He said with a grin, backing up a step. I hop off the counter top and fled the room as fast as I could with out running. Reaching my room, I open my still packed suitcases and pull out my pajamas. Slipping in to my light pink short-sleeved shirt that said ‘I heart my cupcake’ and cut off shorts covered in pictures of cupcakes I started unpacking. My conversation, if you can call it that, with James kept running through my head. I was going out on a date with a very hot boy, scratch that, man that I had just met earlier today. Not to mention that I had already fallen asleep in his arms and that I felt very safe there. What would Catty think of this? I thought to my self, probably something along the lines of ‘you get him sister.’ Yeah that would be what she would say.

 A knock on the door pulled me from my thoughts. “It’s open!” I call. Mike opens the door.

“James tells me you two are going to dinner tomorrow, dinner and a movie.” I blush slightly.

“Yes so what?” I asked him.

“I want to wish you luck. James is a great guy. And you’re a great girl not matter how much you annoy me.” He said. My cheeks darken a little.

“Thanks I think.” I mutter. He comes up and hugs me.

“Good night Cousin.” He says.

“Sweat dreams.” I whisper as he leaves.

As the door closes behind him, I slipped my head phones in and sit on the window seat looking up at the full moon and the first star of the night.

“Star light, star bright,

First star I see tonight

I wish I may, I wish I might

Have the wish I wish tonight

I see the moon

And the moon sees me;

God bless the moon

And God bless me.” I whispered the old rhyme, dad had taught me when I was little, adding my wish. “I wish that Catty, where ever she is right now, is at peace.” Then I hit play and fell asleep listening to Simple Plans I’m Just A Kid.

Hey guys. What do you think? Is it too soon for him to ask her? Sorry if it's short. Remember Vote and Comment even if it's negative critisism.

Lots Of Love

Marie-Soleil