Chapter 20 - Eighteen

November 20, 2013

Our last day of high school had been twelve days before, and today was Michael's eighteenth birthday. Aubree and I decided we would throw a surprise birthday party for him (but it was mainly me doing the planning, if you couldn't guess).

"Aubree.. Let's go!" I exclaimed, putting her in her car seat. I walked back into the apartment to get one last bag then I drove off to Ashton's house, where we were having the party. Michael thought he was coming over for band practice but we were surprising him with a party (hence surprise party).

"Hey boys," I smiled at them as I walked in. They smiled back.

"Do you have everything?" Calum asked and I nodded.

We had gotten everything set up right before Michael's family and friends began showing up. I couldn't wait to surprise him. He was an adult now, so why not have a big party for him?

I saw his car pulling into the driveway. I told everyone to hide. As the door opened, Michael yelled, "WHOS READY FOR A JAM SESSION!!?"

"SURPRISE!" Everyone jumped out. Aubree had wanted down, so she was sitting on the floor in front of me now.

"Bree, did you do this?" He asked and smiled. I nodded. Aubree got onto her hands and knees and began crawling towards Michael.

"Hey baby girl.." He gasped at her crawling for the first time. I just watched the beautiful father-daughter moment. He picked her up and praised her after she got to him.

"Good job, Aubree!" He exclaimed at her.

"We're going to have to baby-proof the apartment now.." I laughed and Michael agreed.

------

Later, we were having cake, and Michael decided to give some to Aubree without asking me.

"Here Aubree.." I heard him say as he put some cake in her mouth. She smiled as she swallowed it.

"Michael!" I ran to him.

"What's wrong, babe?" He wondered.

"We just started introducing her to solids! Don't give her too much, and make sure she's eating it properly," I told him.

"Baby, don't worry about it. It's just cake. It's not like she's going to choke on these small bites I'm giving her, especially since it's a soft food."

"I know. I'm sorry. I'm just really protective.." I shrugged.

"It's fine. Don't worry about it. I get it. I'm protective of my princess to, aren't I, baby girl?" He smiled at Aubree, and she giggled.

I smiled back at him, "I know that. That's good." I kissed him in the cheek and walked away for a little.

Just a few minutes later, I saw Michael about ten feet away from me, still holding Aubree. She reached towards me, so he set her down. She crawled slowly towards me, yet I was still impressed and proud of her. When she got to my feet, I picked her up and smiled. I held her in my arms and smiled at Michael. I couldn't imagine our life without Aubree.

Then, I began to think about what our life would be like without Aubree. Would Michael and I be dating? My parents probably wouldn't know the truth about us (used to) being friends with benefits. Michael and I wouldn't be as close as we are now. It's true what they say, having a baby with someone brings the two of you together. I also wouldn't be able to express my feelings about him to Michael if we were only friends with benefits. My life would be completely different if Michael and I hadn't had Aubree together, or if I wouldn't have had her at all.

I looked at my child in my arms, and she was moving her mouth like she was going to say an 'm'.

"You can't say mama yet, can you?" I asked. It looked like she tried but couldn't. She kept moving her lips like that.

"It's okay, Aubree. Good try, baby," I kissed her forehead, "you've only already crawled for the first time today. Let's not rush it."

Michael came over to us then. He asked me what I was talking about. I told him about Aubree trying to say mama already.

"Wow.. She didn't say it, did she?" He asked.

"No," I frowned.

"That's okay. She might not for a little while. But she did crawl today!"

"Yeah."

"We should get going so we can baby-proof the apartment.."

"Yeah," I laughed, agreeing.

~

This story is going to end soon, maybe in a week or a week in a half..

-Lizzie xx