Chapter XXXV: Rainy Day

A savage storm brewed outside of the PokéCaps house. Riviére and Tatsu sat at the dinner table in their pajamas late in the evening, playing Pokémon TCG. Riviére wore her favorite baby blue silk nightgown that did nothing to conceal her bra and panties beneath. Tatsu sat across her, wearing only a pair of shorts. Hanako sat on the couch, reading her book in the living room. She wore a matching set of flowery green and purple pajamas. While Tatsu and Riviére played cards, she was reading a very old book that detailed all known Mega Stones and their history. The three Mega Stones that Mr. Fuji had given her lay on the coffee table. Their Pokémon played, slept, or were kept in their Poké Balls as the storm raged on. Gyarados had wrapped himself around the house as he slept, enjoying the rain. Blastoise joined Gyarados outside, also enjoying the rain. Flareon, Leafeon, Vaporeon, and Growlithe played around, running throughout the house to use excess energy. Exeggcute slept on Hanako's lap. Charizard and Venusaur were in their Poké Balls, too large to be inside the PokéCaps house.

Riviére drew a card from her pile and smiled deviously. "Ah ha!" she said triumphantly. She placed her much needed Water Energy on her Blastoise EX. "I attack with Splash Bomb!" she said dramatically, standing up and pointing to Tatsu's Charizard EX.

"Damn it, you win again," said Tatsu grumpily as he drew his final two prize cards, Riviére danced in victory. "Hey, Hanako. You wanna play a game?" he called out.

Hanako looked up from her book. "No thanks, I'm good."

"What are you reading?" asked Riviére as she walked over to the couch and sat down.

"I'm reading a book that has all known Mega Stones throughout history. I've been trying to discover which stones these are. Though, there's no point until we discover a Key Stone to activate them," she said with a long sigh. "Still, it's fun to try to figure out which stones these are."

Riviére reached forward and picked up the blue and brown Mega Stone. "So the best way to tell what the Mega Stone it is by what color the stone itself is?" she asked.

"That's right," said Hanako as she picked up the teal, dark green, and pink Mega Stone. "The stone often takes the colors of that of the Pokémon itself, or at least the typing."

"How many are there?" asked Tatsu as he picked up the remaining Mega Stone. It was red, orange, and yellow. "Known Mega Stones, I mean."

"As far as I can tell, maybe thirty. Twenty-two have been confirmed to be actual Mega Stones," said Hanako before she paused. "The current Champions of Tojoh, Hoenn, and Sinnoh have Mega Evolutions."

"Really?" asked Riviére. "Of what Pokémon?"

"Cynthia, the new Sinnoh Champion, has a Mega Garchomp. She won the Sinnoh Championship with only her Mega Garchomp. Ever since her stunning victory, she only uses her Garchomp to take on challengers. It has never lost. Steven, the first ever Hoenn Champion, has a Mega Metagross on his team. He revealed it when he won the tournament where he was crowned champion. The Tojoh Champion, Lance, is rumored to have a Mega Evolution, but no one knows what it is. He announced last year that he achieved Mega Evolution, and will reveal it if the winner defeats his Elite Four."

"I don't think he has one," said Tatsu as he sat down between the girls. "I think he doesn't want to look weaker compared to Cynthia and Steven."

"Actually, it's a great strategy. Cynthia and Steven don't know which Pokémon of his has the Mega Evolution. You can't strategize without knowing which is capable."

Tatsu shrugged his shoulders. "I'm not too worried. I'll be defeating him and taking the title of Champion of Tojoh."

"Don't get too cocky," said Riviére. "You have to get past Hanako and myself before you can even think of taking on Lance," She paused for a moment. "That reminds me; when are you two going to evolve Exeggcute and Growlithe?"

Hanako and Tatsu looked at each other. "We haven't really thought of that," replied Tatsu. "I suppose they're getting high enough in levels to where we could evolve them anytime soon. Their increased power would be a benefit at this point."

Hanako looked down at her sleeping Exeggcute. "I'll evolve her only if she's ready," she said firmly.

"Agreed," said Tatsu.

"While you guys ponder whether or not you'll evolve your Pokémon, I'm going to find us a movie to watch before bed."

Riviére turned on the television and found a movie for them to watch. The movie was a sad tale about an old man who lost a son to the Tojoh War. Stricken with grief, he left his shattered home and traveled the country with his Persian to fulfill a lifelong dream; to become Champion of the Pokémon League. Not soon after he won his sixth badge, he suffered a terrible heart attack that would claim his life. The Persian returned to the war-scarred home and went into the care of his trainer's only surviving son. When the boy came of age, he departed on his own journey to become Champion.

After the movie ended, a news flash interrupted the credits.

"This just in; we at Kanto News just learned that the Fuchsia City National Bank was robbed earlier tonight. It was discovered and reported to the police when the security guard on duty heard strange noises coming from one of the vaults. He contacted the manager and alerted him of the possible breach. When the vault was opened, it was discovered that all of the money, approximately worth 8.2 million, along with other valuables worth an additional 1.7 million, was missing. The investigation has concluded that there were no signs of a break in. This marks the third bank hit this month under unexplainable circumstances, with no evidence as to how the vaults were broken into. Many believe that the burglar used an Abra or a Pokémon with the technique Teleport. President Kanto has issued an executive order that trainers with Pokémon that know this technique are to be investigated thoroughly to answer for these crimes."

Riviére turned off the television. "They won't catch him," she said confidently.

"Oh yeah? What makes you say that?"

"In Kalos, there was this legendary thief that pulled off a million heists and thefts and never once got caught. They called him "le Voleur Face Vierge", or the Blank Thief. He was spotted only four times in thirty years, and all of them were the same. He was covered from head to toe in a black suit and a blank white mask to cover his face. Those who saw him say that he disappeared in thin air. He's the most wanted thief in all of Kalos, and other countries as well. It was only a matter of time before he'd show up in Kanto."

"Wow, sounds impressive," said Tatsu.

"It sure is," said Riviére brightly before she yawned. "Well, I think I'm going to call it a night. See you in the morning."

Tatsu and Hanako followed her to their separate bedrooms not long after, Hanako taking the Mega Stones with her. Vaporeon, Flareon, Growlithe, and Leafeon slept on their trainer's bedrooms while Gyarados and Blastoise slept soundlessly outside in the rain. The rain pounded on the windows and PokéCaps house, the only source of noise. Very late into the night, a golden dot appeared in the living room. The dot expanded into a golden ring, a dark black and purple void between the empty space inside. Suddenly, a tall figure wearing a pitch black body suit and pure white, expressionless mask stepped out of the ring. Behind him, a strange gray and red colored Pokémon with horns and rings floated out behind the intruder.

Soundlessly, the burglar stepped onto the carpet and surveyed the area. The strange Pokémon hovered over his shoulder. The slim figure walked down the hallway to the door at the very end. Silently, the masked thief pushed the door open. The burglar stepped inside and approached the bed. There, the figure saw a tall young woman with flaxen hair sleeping soundly. Her legs sprawled out and head turned, a small amount of drool leaking from her open mouth onto the pillow. Vaporeon slept on the foot of the bed, curled in a ball and sound asleep.

The figure turned his attention away from the girl and towards her nightstand. As he approached, he saw a photograph. It seemed to surprise the thief, as the intruder stopped immediately. Slowly, the figure reached forward and picked up the photograph and looked it over. The photograph was that of two men, a woman, and a young girl. One of the men was Alexander, standing beside a tall man with short flaxen hair and bright blue eyes. Both were smiling pleasantly and dressed sharp. The woman in the photograph was also tall and had long flaxen hair with bright blue eyes to match. She wore a brilliant blue dress. Holding hands with the blonde couple was the girl, no older than six years old. She had long blonde hair and blue eyes that matched her mother's exactly. She was her mother in miniature, wearing the exact same blue dress.

"Riviére..." said the thief in a muffled, light voice. He jumped slightly as Riviére rolled over in her sleep.

"Damn it Tatsu..." she said to herself before she giggled. "Stop touching my buns...You don't even like that kind of sandwiches..."

The assailant leaned over and parted Riviére's flaxen hair out of her face. Riviére grabbed the man's hand and nuzzled it, smiling gently.

"Hoopa?" said the Pokémon as it hovered over Riviére.

The man shook his head. "Let's go," whispered the thief.

"Hoopa," said the Pokémon in a disappointed tone. The Mischief Pokémon pointed and a gold ball appeared in Riviére's room. The ball then expanded into a golden ring. Hoopa hovered through the portal, followed by the masked man. He stopped with one foot in the portal and turned to Riviére.

"One day, we will meet again," he said before he stepped fully into the portal. The golden ring then collapsed and disappeared.

The next morning, Hanako, Tatsu, and Riviére stood outside with their Pokémon. Hanako held her Exeggcute in hand while Vaporeon, Leafeon, Flareon, and Growlithe sat beside their trainers. Tatsu returned the house to the capsule and put it in his bag. He turned to Hanako and then to Growlithe. "Hey, Growlithe," said Tatsu. "I've been meaning to ask...Are you ready to evolve into Arcanine?"

"Growl?" barked the Growlithe, turning his attention to his trainer.

Hanako leaned forward and set Exeggcute on the ground. "I want to ask you the same thing," admitted Hanako. "Are you ready...no, willing, to evolve into Exeggutor?"

Tatsu and Hanako reached into their bags and pulled out a Fire Stone and Leaf Stone respectfully and set it in front of their Pokémon. The Exeggcute and Growlithe looked at their trainers and without hesitation, touched the stones. The Growlithe and Exeggcute immediately glowed blue at the touch of the stones. Their bodies quickly grew in mass at an alarming rate. When the glowing faded, Arcanine and Exeggutor stood where their pre-evolutions had just moments ago.

"Arrrrrr!" barked the Arcanine as the large Pokémon pounced onto his trainer and licked his face. Riviére giggled hysterically.

"Dammit, get off me!" laughed Tatsu as Arcanine licked his face.

Hanako approached her newly evolved Pokémon and placed her hand on the Exeggcutor's chest. The once tiny Pokémon was now much taller than her; by well over a foot and a half. The three coconut heads smiled at Hanako as she hugged Exeggutor around the trunk. "It's not fair! You've grown so big now!"

"We should be off to Fuchsia City," said Tatsu as Arcanine stepped off him. He got to his feet and wiped off the drool from his face. "If we hurry, we can get there before lunch," Arcanine howled and grabbed Tatsu by the back of his jacket. He threw Tatsu onto his back and ran off. Hanako, Riviére, and their Pokémon chased after the excited Arcanine and the captive Tatsu. "You're going the wrong way!" yelled Tatsu as Arcanine ran off with Tatsu on his back.