Chapter Six - Threats & Purposes

Reine's weak lungs forced her to stop for a breath after a long attempt of escaping and running away from, well, everything. Just like two days ago when she took refuge in the forest of aspen trees.

After oxygen filled up her chest again, Reine glanced around at her strange surroundings. Dark hallways, closed doors, and nothing more. All the doors were labeled, including the one behind her, but her eyes were too clouded with salty liquids to see. Not that she cared. Slowly, Reine sank to her knees and buried her tear-streaked face in her arms.

I am a monster, Reine thought as she let all her tears flood out.

"A monster who murdered my own family and will only cause more death and destruction if...." Reine whispered her jumbled thoughts outloud.

Thinking back on how normal everything was four days ago, Reine chuckled at the irony of it. A loving family with the cutest little brother. High school with friends. How everything went downhill fast, too fast for Reine to process. In fact, even now, her head was filled questions that demanded answers. After all, nothing about this made any sense.

Ho- how was it even possible to just turn people and things into ashes by just touching them? Looking down at her hands, Reine wondered, And why, why hasn't anything else being affected by my hands ever sin-

"Do you plan on sitting there all day?"

Surprised, Reine jerked up her head to face whoever had just interrupted her thoughts.

"I mean, I could really care less if you do plan on sulking in the shadows all day. But," Brock paused to look past Reine, "I would really like to get to my office."

Reine frowned confusedly and followed his gaze and found herself staring at a sign on the door behind her.

"Here lies the ever so great Brock. May he rest in peace. P.S. If you must, just must, wake Great Brock from his deep sleep... Please Knock!," Reine read the words on the sign to herself.

Frowning even more, Reine glanced back at Brock who was staring at her with a smile as if waiting for a reaction, a laugh probably, at his idiotic sign.

"It's stupid, but I must say I'm not surprised," Reine said and stood up to move out of the way, "from what I've met of you 'Diamonds', you guys are all idiots."

Brock moved so fast, Reine did not have time to react before his hand closed around her throat with a cold look that was completely different from the warm smile he just had.

"Insult me all you want, but I would no-"

"Would not," Reine struggled to reply from the pressure her throat was under, "tolerate me saying bad things about your precious Diamonds?"

Reine started laughing maniacally at both the situation and Brock's shocked face. Sure, she was scared and did not appreciate having her life on the line, but then what did she have to lose? Everything she cared about in this world was either dead or would never want to see her face again. There was nothing left for her to live for.

Though, it was kind of sad that it took her this long to realize.

So with a smile on her face, she greeted, "Well, hello, glad to finally meet the real yo-"

Reine gasped for breath and gave up on her sentence as the grasp on her throat tightened.

"Another word from you, and it will be your last," Brock threatened with a north-pole worthy stare when he finally recovered from the shock of hearing her laugh so randomly.

Returning an equally freezing look, Reine reached up and grabbed Brock wrist and gasped, "I. dare. you. to. try."

For a moment, Reine thought Brock was really going to kill her, and her short life was really going to end with such an unhappy ending. She was going to die. Not that she really cared anymore. But the murderous look on his face faded away as the hand slowly relaxed on her throat and her feet touched the ground again.