Breakfast

It was a Sunday in the Mendoza household. Maine had to be at the movie shoot at 9 am in Manila. It was now 6 in the morning.

"Meng."

Walang imik.

"Menggay," Coleen was trying to wake her sister up after hearing her phone countless times, waking her up, she finally decided enough is enough. But with no luck, Maine was still wide asleep with her mouth hanging open.

"Mantika naman matulog to 'o. Nicomaine!" Coleen finally shouted, sitting on her younger sister's bed.

Finally, the sleeping beauty bolted up frantically looking around. Her hair was messy and her eyes were still squinted.

"Anong oras na?" A yawn escaped her mouth. She was used to this. She was used to her alarm being snoozed to death and her sister waking her up instead.

"6 na, 'te." She deadpanned her sister.

"Ano?! Hala eh ah.. Shit!" She got up the bed so fast that she fell to the ground but recovered and ran to the bathroom.

•••
She was running down the steps in a rush to get to her car.

"Tatay, aalis na po ako. Si Nanay po?" Maine kissed the hand of her dad before looking around the empty household except for her dad reading the newspaper. It was always like this, her dad being the early riser of the Mendoza clan and her mom being the second but always going to work straight after having a bit of chat with Daddy Dub.

Coleen fell asleep right after waking up her sister. Her brothers were still asleep meaning that Nico was late yet again. And Ate Niki was catching up on sleep after Baby Matti kept on crying last night because of his colds.

"Nako, syempre nauna nanaman umalis. Alam mo naman nanay mo." Her father replied. "O sya, sige na. Ma-lelate ka na. Ingat anak!"

"Opo. Kayo rin ho!" After bidding her farewell she ran straight out to her waiting car.

Paktay na. She thought to herself when she looked at her watch.

But when she looked up to the car, she didn't anticipate a black SUV, a window rilled down, with a man she didn't expect so early in the morning.

No, scratch that. Her Tisoy was eating breakfast from a drive-thru, looking through his phone while waiting for her.

"Hay salamat! Gising ka na din." Alden finally noticed that the girl he waited for was finally awake.

He had to beg just so he would be allowed to fetch Maine from Bulacan to go to Manila together. He woke up so early in the morning just to get to he in time, buying breakfast for two on the road. Her father was aware though, that's why he had a knowing smile on his face when her daughter stepped out the door.

She couldn't believe it, her mouth was hanging open and she was flustered all over.

"Bakit ka nandito?" She was still in disbelief that while climbing up the car she was surprised yet again by the paperbag on the passenger seat.

"Ayaw mo?" He pouted. Oh my God, did he pout.

"Huh? Hindi. Kasi naman eh.." Maine did her pabebe voice and tucked a hair behind her ear.

He laughed and shook her head. "Hoy! Sa Kalyeserye lang yan ha. Iba to, Nicomaine at Richard 'to." He said with a huge smile on his face at the beauty he hasn't seen in so long.

"I know." She said duplicating the bright smile on his face.

"Tara na. Papagalitan na tayo ni Direk." He said revving up the car.

"Alden," Maine said putting kn her seatbelt. "Thank you."