Chapter 4

I searched my room, looking for all of my money. A total of $50 from my parents. I fingered the pile of cards that I had gotten for my 7th birthday. Something to do if we got bored.

"I really will miss this place. Even Mom and Dad." I muttered to myself.

While putting the cards in my bag, I chastise myself. I may have it bad, but I also have to think of Fern. She is so quiet, so sweet and yet my parents refuse to believe her.

I pack the things I need, quietly leaving to grab my toothbrush, toothpaste and a couple of water bottles to brush my teeth with.

When I walk into the bathroom, I get distracted staring at the bright blue walls. I think of the time my parents painted the walls. I hated the way they reflected and made the whole room look bright blue. It had given me a headache.

I have grown fonder of the color as the walls started to be bleached by the sun and the once pristine walls grew old from the dents. I rub my hand over a dent in the wall. I remember fondly of the time Fern and I caused it. It had been one of those bright sunny days that make even the most depressed of people smile. It had been a long time since the sound of laughter had echoed off the old walls of the house. It was a time that I was genuinely happy. Fern was playing in the pool, laughing, as I swam up and scared her. We came inside and went to change out of our swimsuits. I had finished changing and was helping Fern when a dog barked in the neighborhood and scared Fern, causing her to fall over and rip the curtain off the wall.

My mom heard and rushed up the stairs to see what had happened. She was furious and I took the blame in order to save young Fern from getting in trouble. In response, my mom beat me and I was grounded.

About a hour later, I am done packing so I sit there on my bed and doze off.

                                                                                       * * * * *

Fern and I are running in the dark. We hear Lily saying she is going to come after us and I wake up screaming.

I look at the clock and am instantly frustrated. It is only 10:30 and I am tired. I sit for a minute then decide to take one last look at the house I have grown up in. I look at the walls and think of all the memories. I walk over to my bookshelf and pick up my photo album.

When I pick it up, I can barely feel the leather cover through the layers of dust that have covered it. I accidentally drop it on the floor from the slipperiness of the dust. Looking down, I see what page it has opened to. A family of five is standing underneath a weeping willow tree. Everybody in the picture seems genuinely happy, all of them laughing. Most of the family has wavy bleach blonde hair and electric blue eyes. Everybody except for the middle child. Her straight black hair and unnaturally red eyes contrast with everybody else so much, people wonder if she was adopted.

I slowly put a hand over my mouth as I bent over to pick up the photo album. It wasn't the fact that it fell that surprised me, or the fact that I was different from everybody else. It was Lily laughing that surprised me. I couldn't remember a time where we were all that happy.

I skim through the old scrapbook. I was laughing in some of the pictures but most didn't have me in them. Lily was in most of the pictures and so was Fern. I laugh as I see Fern where I had smeared whipped cream and sprinkles all ocer her face and hair. I had gotten in trouble for that. Mom screamed at me as Fern stood yelling that she didn't mind and that it was okay. But Mom, as usual, ignored Fern's attempts to keep me out of trouble.

I finish looking through the scrapbook and set it gently down onto the shelf. Time to write the goodbye letters and move on. I walk over to my desk and write a letter in my best handwriting.

Dear Parents,

I am not sure how to say this but I am leaving with Fern. I want you to know that I have and always will love you. You are the best parents I could have wished for. I wish there was another way, but I am sure that this is the only way that Fern and I will be safe. I want you to wake up in the morning and not be mad, instead, think of the life that you had with me. I will take this scrapbook with me to remind me of the fun times. I love you and though I may not say it all that often, you are the best parents anyone could wish for. I leave this picture in your possession to remind you that good things do happen to this family.

I have been dreading the moment that I would have to say goodbye but know that it is not forever. Someday, Fern and I will see you again. I thank you for making me the person I am today.

Hope to see you soon,

Rose

I start flipping through the scrapbook to find the picture of our family under the weeping willow. I look at it one last time and then search quickly through the drawers of my desk until I find an envelope in which I put the letter and picture. I quickly write Mom and Dad on the outside of the envelope and seal it closed. I look at the clock and it reads 11:00 in bright orange numbers.

Time to wake up Fern and finish gathering things.