LAYOUT: The Eight Point Plot Arc Spread

Here's a plot development spread similar to the Hero's Journey layout, but based on the popular 8 Point Plot Arc system.

1: The Stasis The beginning point of the story, the protagonist's 'normal' existence and routine. It's a sort of comfort zone for them, which will soon be disrupted by the unfolding events of the plot. This is the point where you introduce the character and the world in which they live, and make us familiar with them.

2: The Trigger The inciting incident which first propels the protagonist out of stasis. It doesn't have to be a world-shattering problem, but it needs to start the chain of events which will hurl the character onto the story's journey.

3: The Quest The point when the character decides to take action and not sit idle. The stasis has been shattered, and they must do something in the face of the increasing challenge. The first step onto the road, and the journey to meet with destiny.

4: The Surprise Usually there will be more than one surprise, and this is also usually the longest point of the story. They can be pleasant surprises or jarring ones--new knowledge or information, obstacles, complications to existing events, but they should always be unexpected to the keep the reader guessing as to what happens next. Surprises should always propel the character forth or present a challenge to their quest.

5: The Choice At this point, the protagonist is put on the spot, and must make a decision while under a high amount of pressure. This is necessary for the advancement of both the plot and the character arc, to raise it to the next level of development.

6: The Climax The most commonly known and recognizable point, this is the result of the protagonist's earlier choice, and the culmination of the story's excitement. The reader must be drawn into the action and care about the outcome, no matter if the character wins or loses the struggle.

7: The Reversal The result of the choice and the climax, this is the way in which the protagonist's world is forever changed as a result of their previous actions. Nothing will ever be the same for our hero or heroine again, as they will be altered forever by the consequences of all that has come before.

8: The Resolution At last, our protagonist has reached the end of their struggles, and can return to some sense of normalcy. All loose plot ends have been resolved in a satisfying way, and the character is forever changed by their experiences, whether for better or worse.