CHAPTER SIXTEEN: Talking Chemistry

I'm posting chapters bit by bit, but if you fancy having a proper read (I'd be incredibly appreciative) the WHOLE BOOK is available at:

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Cinnamon-Twigs/book-9Uokd8GnEEOVoIj2_aFtyg/page1.html?s=KixwgX3Q7UunELDAgj-n3g&r=1

http://www.amazon.com/Cinnamon-Twigs-Pseudocide-Celebrity-ebook/dp/B00CC0JKL6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367255689&sr=8-1&keywords=cinnamon+twigs

http://www.lulu.com/shop/darren-freebury-jones/cinnamon-twigs-the-life-and-pseudocide-of-a-celebrity/ebook/product-20984838.html

http://www.scribd.com/doc/137321682/C... 

D.F.J

 xxx

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Talking Chemistry

Lauren and I text each other over the following few days. She invited me to a little gathering she was having with her friends in the Students’ Union.

     I drowned myself in aftershave and smiled at my reflection in the mirror. My blue eyes sparkled with anticipation.

     ‘You smell like a tart’s handkerchief.’ My mother wrinkled her nose.

     ‘Thanks. I’ll take that as a compliment.’

     ‘You’re awfully cheerful. What’s going on?’ She narrowed her eyes and peered at me.

     ‘Aren’t I allowed to smile?’

     ‘You haven’t been this jolly in a while. Where to are you going?’

     ‘I’m just going out for a drink.’

     ‘With who?’

     ‘Just a friend.’

     ‘Which friend?’

     ‘Nobody you know, mum,’ I said.

     ‘What about Michael? You’re usually out with him.’

     ‘No, he’s not coming out tonight.’

     ‘What’s her name then?’

     ‘Who?’

     ‘Don’t play games, Daniel. I mean the girl you’re seeing tonight. Is she pretty?’

     ‘Yes. Very.’ I brushed a thick comma of hair away from my forehead.

     ‘So, you’re going on a date.’

     ‘Not exactly.’

     ‘Well, just don’t come back with any hickies. Or babies.’

     ‘I’ll do my best.’

     I met Lauren and her friends at the bottom of the concrete steps running up to the student bar. Her friends Amy and Chloe were lovely. But I wasn’t fussed on Lauren’s housemate Gareth, a nerdy, gangly kid who did Medical Studies.

     We sat on the leather sofas near the bar’s entrance. Music filled the air. Drunken students played pool and ordered rounds of tequila until they struggled to stand on the laminate flooring. Gareth cast lustful looks at Lauren while boring us with a lecture on scientific research.

     ‘So, does anyone else want to talk about chemistry?’ I winked at Lauren and she laughed.

     ‘Would you like to buy me another drink?’ Lauren held my hand and edged closer to me, her lips slightly parted as if she dared me to kiss them.