Chapter 3 - {Before Part 1} In The Time That Followed

In the time that followed, I began to see my true potential unravelling. Apparently the crash that had occurred in the tower - including my meeting with the little girl - had all been planned by Fink and his crony workers. It had been a last stab in the dark at trying to make my existence worth something. It confused me, because I thought that my purpose was to protect the skies, but it was; if anything; an even more strenuous task.

It was all to do with the little girl I had met in the tower, the one who saved my life. Her name was Elizabeth, but most of the time I heard her being called the Lamb. For some reason, she was special, to be looked after and protected. And the creature to protect her was me.

That's what I had been made to do after all! To defend Elizabeth, to stop her from coming to harm. Also, I was to bring her food and anything she wanted. In the years in which she grew up from around eight years old when I met her, she took an interest in books. Reading, learning, that's all she did in that tower. So, I was sent to bring her books as well as essentials that she needed to survive.

One time, when she was around eleven, I brought her a stack load along with her lunch; bread and butter with gravy drippings, a meal she was indeed very fond of. She was tucking in her white shirt into her long blue skirt waistband when I landed on the balcony and skulked inside through the large door meant for me.

She turned around, recognising me instantly, and beamed.

"Songbird!" she called out, running up to me. "I thought it was about time that you visited me! What is it today?"

I placed the bag of goods into her tiny hands. She had a peek, her smile growing.

"Excellent!" she squeaked, placing the bag on the table next to her. She was used to no-response from me. She had struggled to realise at first about how I didn't answer her questions, or tell her my name. However, Fink - who I am fairly certain has never met Elizabeth - dropped a note in her daily rations about me, to explain who I was and what my duty to her was. That is how she found out and how she learnt my name.

"Good, good. I will unpack that load later on." she mumbled, concentrating on her thoughts for a moment. I cooed to get her attention. "What is it, Songbird?"

I dropped yet another bag on the floor, but this time, it made a thump as it fell. Elizabeth's face was shrouded in confusion. She was used to one bag, and the odd book or two, but not an extra bag all together!

"Another bag? All right then." she kneeled down on the floor and started to unwrap the thick string around the top and peered inside. "Books!" she exclaimed, delving her hands inside. "A LOT of books! And all classics too, just like I had read! Jane Austin, Charles Dickens! Thank you Songbird, that is most kind!"

She jumped up to hug my mechanical form. I let out a soft squeak in reply. You're welcome, I thought.

"Oh, these will go so well in my library! Will you help me carry them please? I am afraid I am not as strong as you, and wouldn't be able to get all this lot there." she asked politely. I nodded my head, picking up the bag in between my claws and following behind her with large loud footsteps.

"What a fantastic collection you have brought me today! It seems that the next week will be incredibly busy for me." she said quietly, opening the door to her library.

It was definitely the biggest room in the tower, if not the biggest in all Columbia. Shelves and shelves of books, all different types, sizes, styles, even shapes. Elizabeth had organised them neatly, in both chronological and time that she had received and read them. While she may never have had a tutor to learn, she had certainly taught herself anything that she could ever need to know.

"Over here, Songbird!" she called me from the other end of the library. I had been stuck in my thoughts for a moment and had stopped following her. Anyone would, this room is truly magical. So much learning and enjoyment to be had in such a large place, only in an eleven year old's possession. It made you ponder.

I walked over to where she was stood, and began to unload and pass the books to her. She took her time in deciding where she wanted them, and in what order compared to the rest of her humongous collection. I didn't blame her; this would take some time even for the most smartest creatures.

"Now, I could start a shelf for each author's works. Maybe that is the more logical way to go now that I have a dozen of each writer." she contemplated it. "Yes, that is the way I want to do this."

Elizabeth started to stack the shelf, politely saying thank you every time that I passed her the next book. You're welcome, you're welcome, you're welcome, my mind wished it could say. Instead, I made the same purring sound every time, so she understood. When she was finished, she turned back to me, satisfied.

"Good! I'm happy that everything is sorted out! I didn't want to procrastinate that job, the clutter would truly irritate me." she said, straightening her blue necktie which had crumpled slightly. I chirped politely.

CAGE...

My eyes gleamed red again, and she sighed.

"They are summoning you to leave, aren't they?" she said quietly, putting her head down, sorrowfully. "Go on then, leave me. Thank you for the presents, I will enjoy them immensely. Goodbye, Songbird."

I screeched a reply, and started to head towards the huge doors designed for me. She sighed; her only friend going yet again for another day or so. It must destroy her to see me as my wings flap and head off into the crimson morning sky of Columbia. To be trapped in a tower for all of your life must be the most dreadful thing. And when the only creature to come and see you - never mind that it is a mechanical bird - leaves you alone yet again, it most destroy any spirit you had.

I hope she stays strong, her purpose will come soon enough.