Chapter 3

"I'm home!"

To Shelagh's relief Patrick had returned home, as ordered by her, half an hour later. She made him a fresh cup of tea, along with one for herself, and sat down on the sofa.

Ever since the couple had got married two years ago they vowed to keep nothing from each other. However, if one was keeping a secret the other would instantly know by some strange means. It might be eye contact, body gestures or the tone of voice. Shelagh's instincts told her Patrick was keeping something from her and she wasn't going to stop until she had got it out of him.

"Patrick, would you come and sit down a moment please?" Shelagh gestured to him to sit next to her.

"Darling, you're not going to fuss over me are you?" Patrick said as he hastily moved towards the sofa. Deep down though, from the look on Shelagh's face, he knew she wanted to know something. He continued the act.

"Shelagh, I thought we made a deal that you wouldn't do that." He plastered on a smile which covered what he was feeling inside.

"Patrick, please it's clear you're trying to hide something from me. It's no good pretending you're not." Shelagh's tone was serious and almost desperate for the truth.

Her husband's smile slowly fell and was left with a straight, emotionless face. He looked down as he could not face looking at his caring wife. He felt her hand grit his gently and in return he did the same.

"Patrick, whatever it is, it's getting you down and making you ill. Please tell me." Shelagh looked at Patrick, concerned. She had never seen him so lost for words.

Patrick swallowed hard, thinking carefully about what he was going to say. He didn't want to upset Shelagh but he wanted to get it out all the same. "Darling, do you remember me telling you about my break down in 1945?"

"Patrick of course I do! How could I forget?" She quickly flashed back to the day Patrick explained what had happened to him just after the war. It pained him to describe some of the details and was therefore a bit vague. Shelagh had decided to leave it in the past.

"What's that got to do with now?" She asked looking at Patrick.

"I'm afraid quite a lot, darling."