Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Shelagh rushed to Nonnatus House as quickly as she could. When Sister Julienne told her what had happened she felt like something icy cold shot through, making her shiver.

She rang the door bell a couple of times and soon enough Sister Evangelina opened it and quickly ushered Shelagh inside.

"I came as soon as I could Sister. Where's Patrick?" Sister Evangelina directed Shelagh in the direction of the sitting room.

"They're in here Shelagh. He's a bit better than he was earlier but he's still quite dizzy." Sister Evangelina informed Shelagh of the situation and she nodded, understanding what she had said.

Shelagh walked through the doorway and into the living room to find Patrick sitting in an armchair, looking uncomfortable and Sister Julienne kneeling by him, occasionally wetting his temple with water. She turned to Shelagh, who was still standing in the doorway, and beckoned her to come over.

"How is he Sister?" She knelt down by Patrick and took over the job of wetting his temple.

"Well, he's a bit better Shelagh but Patrick isn't well. He should have stayed at home and got some rest." Sister Julienne's advice echoed what she had told Patrick in the morning.

Patrick began to stir at the sound of his wife's voice so Shelagh slipped her spare hand into his and gripped it tightly.

"I'll leave you two alone for a while, call me if you need anything Shelagh." Sister Julienne spoke in her calm and soothing voice. Shelagh nodded and turned to face Patrick who had now woken fully but still looked a bit sleepy.

Shelagh smiled at Patrick, trying to hide from the worry she was feeling. This however, didn't work, you couldn't hide much from a doctor.

"Darling I'm sorry about this, I should have stayed at home. I don't know what's wrong with me, I just won't listen to anyone else's advice but my own." He looked into Shelagh's eyes, waiting for her to say something.