Prologue

If every living thing dies alone, what am I doing here?
~ Disasterology//Pierce the Veil

Ray's P.O.V.
I gag, restraining the urge to vomit at the sight of all the corpses, and the smell of them decaying.
The smell reminds me of when I was seven and my pet snake died. I didn't realize it for a while, about a week. My dad went to leave one night, and I walked out of my room after getting something. "Dude, I think something died in my room." I said, after shaking my head. "Have you checked on your snakes?" he asked. I nod. I had just given Bob water this morning, and Jay.
"Both of them?" he asked, wincing. I thought for a moment; I had given them both water, and Bob ate recently, but I didn't recall my dad feeding Jay. "Yeah, he might be dead. He hasn't eaten in a while."
And with that, my dad left. I shook my head. Jay couldn't have been dead, he was crawling around and slithering up and down the tank walls. But the last couple of days, he didn't. He didn't slither, I couldn't hear him falling from the top of the tank, where he would lose balance. It didn't keep me up at night, I wasn't paranoid that somebody was in my room when his thuds would sound throughout.
I went in my room, with my dad long gone, and pulled my favorite trick; I filled a cup of water, and poured a few drops on top of him. All I could see of him was a little curl of his midbody at the corner of a little box he liked to sleep on. He never moved, and eventually I had emptied the entire cup of water on his still body.
I leaned to the other side of the tank and I could see, barely, the other half of his body. It was curled at about an inch from his head, and the bottom of his body was exposed, along with his open mouth and empty eyes.
I choked back a sob, and shook my head, covering my mouth. For a week I had been in my room, chilling out, watching Donnie Darko religiously. All the while, inhaling the scent of my dead pet, the being that mindlessly relied on me, completely unaware that I was his lifeline.
I failed him, I let him curl up in that ball, I let him spiral into his last breath. All those nights he would crawl and fall, annoying the hell out of me constantly, but somehow soothing me every night.
All I could think about was letting him die, being a piece of shit. Now, look at me. I let down conscious beings, aware that they relied on me, and I'm completely alone. Surrounded by the remains of what was my entire life, only a few years ago.

A//N
Um, my goal was to put a quote at the beginning of every, if not most, chapters? The point is to relate them to the chapters, an idea I stole from a fanfic called Double Crossbow (sorry Songbirdie)
Actually not a big PTV person, at least not since the seventh grade. Love the lyrics, can't exactly enjoy the music anymore.
Anyways feedback, vote, comment, whatever else authors say after every chapter.