Chapter 8

AyMijita! Como tu estas? Yo soy Claudia, tu tia. Yo y mi familia estabamos esperandote aqui por siete oras!" Someone with a loud, Brazilian twang to their Spanish squealed. "Si, yo se. Pero la hora del oceano esta cinco horas atrasada a la hora de la tierra!" I counter, my competitive nature coming out within a day of being here. Okay, for those other people that don't speak Spanish, basically my aunt was telling me I was being lazy for sleeping in, then I countered with an argument stating that ocean time is five hours behind their time.

         Sheesh, they're probably going to get so annoyed with me that they send back to the ocean.

        With that thought, I bolt upright. My God, I'm a genius! All I have to do is be obnoxious, annoying, self-centered, and mean, and then poof! they'll send me back home faster than you can say 'I hate sea apples.' This is literally the perfect plan.

         "Good morning, Marcia." my aunt greets me. "Whatever, Aunt." I throw in an eye-roll for good measure. "Now, chica, I know you don't want to be here, but the least you can do is act like it. As I like to say, nothing dampens the morning like--

      "Like a foul mood. Yeah, yeah, Mom. We get it. Marci doesn't care. She is too high and mighty for land sayings. Isn't that right, Marcia?" Maria sneers, cocking a hip. We got here last night in Rio de Janeiro at about two in the morning their time, which is nine at night ocean time. But, unluckily for me, we still had time to be aquainted with my beeyotch of a cousin, Maria. Jesu Christo! She's probably going to beat me out for being a royal bitch. "Well, you three girls get more aquainted. I'll be in my room, freshening up." And with that, Aunt Claudia waddled out of the room, leaving Lil, Maria and me to get "better aquainted".

             For the record, I did not provoke Maria into hating my guts. I came in the room, understandably grumpy, as anyone would be, seeing as I had just swam six hours straight. She stared at us, cocked a hip, and then immediately started stealing my sisters away. She went up to Lillianna-Lilianna!-and started doting on her and all that crap. Then she went over to Gabbs and promised to take her shopping, do her hair and makeup, and give her boy advice. At this, point, you know that whenever Gabbs hears the words, boys, hair, makeup, and shopping, she instantly forgets that people might just be evil sharks, and starts worshiping them. Now, at that point I didn't dislike her, but apparently she disliked me. She gave me a once-over, which I usually reward somebody who does that to me with a bird. But, she's family, so I didn't. And right now I'm wishing I had. Anyway, she gave me a once-over, and made the universal gesture for, What the hell is that girl wearing? Then she said hi to Ophelia and sashayed out of the room.

                Part of what makes me mad is how undeniably beautiful she is. She has dark hair that's a shade or two darker than mine, and dark, chaocolate eyes. We share the skin though. She has refined cheek bones and plump lips that look to be permanently pursed. I mean, I don't think I'm the  most beautiful person one the planet, but I can't deny that I'm up there. But Maria might just have me beat.

              "Marcia? Hello? Marcia? What are you doing, dreaming of how you can hookup with every guy in the school?" Marcia mocked. "Question," Lilianna ventures,"What is a hookup?"

               "Well, Lil," Maria starts explaining."A hookup is when a guy and a girl-" 

             "Whoa, whoa, whoa!" I exclaim. I rush over and cover Lil's ears. "What do you think you're saying? She's nine years old! She does not need to know these things, and go telling everybody what it means." 

             "Whatever. You're such a wuss. She can know."

             "No, she can't."

            She gets up in my face. "Yes, she can." You know, all the sudden, I have a feeling that this really isn't about what Lil can or can't know. My lord. The first day here, and I'm already getting into a fight. "Lil, go wake up Gabbs and Ophelia. Okay?" I prod. She nods vigorously and all but runs out of the room, leaving Maria and I alone.

"Listen, puta del inferno, I don't know what you have against me, but you need to cut the sh-"

            "Girls! My goodness, what is the matter? I leave you two alone for 10 minutes and this is what occurs? Well, we'll have none of that. Marcia, you have a limit on your shopping when we go. Maria, you'll have to clean the bathroom for a week and no friends over for a week. Understand?"

               "What? You give her limited shopping, and I have to clean? What is this world coming to?" She stamps her feet, then apparently gathers herself enough to give me a death glare and walk out of the room, texting vigorously. She's most likely telling them about how mean I am and everything. Now I'll have school enemies before I even go to school.

              Isn't my life just perfect?