Ch. 5 Camille

Ch 5 Camille

It was a sunny day outside and princess Camille sat alone by the window in her sitting room. She was reading a terribly boring novel about some aristocrats' love lives with so many frustrating love triangles and squares that it could easily pass for a geometry textbook. Just as she was deciding if she should throw the wretched book out the window, someone burst into the room.

"Cammie!" Prince Nathan said excitedly. "Let's go to the carnival together!"

Camille looked at him suspiciously. "Why are you bursting into a princess' room so suddenly? That's very mannerless of you."

"Mannerless?" he smirked. "Is that even a word, Princess Camille?"

"Of course." she folded her arms across her chest. "And why is it that you want to go to the carnival so bad?"

"Because carnivals are always fun." Nate smiled. "I would go alone but it would be even better if you come along."

"If I come along it would not be fun at all." Camille replied. "An army of guards would have to follow us and we won't be able to do anything at all."

Nate sat up on the windowsill and faced Camille. "That's why we go anonymously. Put on some plain peasant clothes and add some dirt to our faces. It's not like people know what you look like."

"I don't even own peasant clothes." She said, scoffing at his excitement. "Where do you suppose I get those?"

"I'm sure Dani has some." he said and got off the windowsill. He went over and opened the door. "Hey, Daniya, come over here for a second." he called out.

Half a minute later the maid entered the sitting room.

"Yes, Prince Nate?"

Camille clucked her tongue disapprovingly. "Look at you two. So close now, are we?"

Nate grinned. "Of course. Your maid is such a nice girl. Very pretty too."

Dani blushed a little and looked at her feet.

"Don't fall for it, Dani." Camille ordered. "He says that to every girl right before he shatters their heart into a million useless pieces."

Nathan looked offended. "Hey, I would never!"

"Lies." Camille scoffed.

Dani cleared her throat. "Did you need me for something?" she asked.

"Oh that's right." Nate smiled at her. "You're so beautiful that I forgot what I wanted to ask of you the moment you entered the room." Camille made a gagging sound in the background and Nate continued in his sugary voice. "You wouldn't mind lending your princess the plainest dress you have and a cloak, would you?"

The maid looked confused for a second. "Um, sure, of course. May I ask what for?"

"We're going to the carnival undercover." he replied, his eyes glinting with mischief. He grabbed her hands. "I suppose you could stay behind and cover for us, yeah? And you won't tell anyone, right?"

Dani glanced at the princess. "Right, I won't tell anyone. I'll make sure you don't get in trouble."

"Splendid!" he kissed the maid's hand. "You're amazing, my dear. Now go and get that dress for Cammie."

Dani left the room and Nathan turned to Camille, beaming.

"We're going to the carnival now, right?"

The princess shot him a disgusted look. "Your ridiculous flirting makes me want to puke," she said. "I really feel sorry for the girl you will marry."