Ch. 9 Camille

Ch 9 Camille

Camille briskly walked through the carnival streets with Vince at her heels.

"Princess, can we please stop and talk about this properly?" he called after her.

Camille stopped abruptly and turned around.

"Talk about what?" she asked. "Did you really quit being my bodyguard to become a thief?"

Vince didn't say anything. They stood looking at each other in the middle of the street, people streaming past them. All the anger drained out of Camille and she just looked sad.

"I felt really unfortunate when you quit that job." she said. "You were the only person I could call a friend at the castle even though you were just a bodyguard. But I decided to let you quit because you said you had to take care of your little sister." She shook her head. "But instead of taking care of her you decide to turn her into a thief."

"I had no choice--"

"Good day to you, Vincent." She turned around and stalked off. This time Vince didn't follow.

~~~

The princess sat on an armchair in her sitting room. It's been three hours since she came back from the carnival. Nathan was still not back though. Her encounter with Vincent left her in bleak spirits and she couldn't stop thinking about it. The sun was already setting, but Camille didn't even register it as she stared into space. There was a light knock on the door and the maid, Dani, entered.

"Princess. Is there anything wrong?" she asked.

Camille turned to face her. "No. Why would anything be wrong?"

"Well.. you've been sitting there and staring at nothing since you came back from the carnival. Did something happen there?"

Camille shook her head. "I'm fine. Really. You don't need to worry so much."

Dani didn't seem fully convinced, but decided not to press the subject. "By the way, here's a message passed from His Highness your father." she said as she handed the princess an envelope with the royal seal. Camille took it and ripped off the seal. As she read the beautiful calligraphed words, her eyes became wider and wider with horror. She finished reading it and sat still in shock for a full minute. Dani became increasingly uneasy as the silence stretched on.

"Princess." After no reply, she tried again. "Princess? What's going on? Please answer me."

Camille's eyes darted to her maid. "Did you know about this?"

"About what?"

"This is an order to prepare for my engagement ball." Camille said, her words reflecting her disbelief. "I'm marrying Nate."

"Is that... a bad thing?" Dani asked.

Camille let out a small laugh. "No, of course not. Why would it be? I mean, we knew each other when we were kids, our parents are good friends, we live in neighboring kingdoms so when we marry, the two kingdoms will become one big kingdom. Also, Prince Nathan is such a darling. He has the looks and everything else a girl would want!"

Dani backed off slowly. Camille's voice was becoming more hysterical with every sentence.

"This is just perfect actually." the princess continued as she got up from her chair. "A wedding is just what I so desperately need right now. And it's not like Nate likes anyone right now. I bet he would be so excited when he hears the news. I'm sure he would absolutely love to marry me. Oh, and I also have this beautiful dress that I just must wear to the engagement ball. It was made by my favorite seamstress. What do you think, Daniya, should I wear that? It would go well with my dead mother's pearls."

"Princess..." Dani said, as she took another step back. "Why.. Why so overly cheerful?"

"Why?" Camille asked, as she shot her maid a dazzling smile. "Why, you ask? Well, it's quite simple, really." Her smile instantly dropped and her eyes filled with rage. "I have to marry that good for nothing player idiot! And I can't do anything about it! Nothing! The only decision I'm allowed to make here is what dress I'm going to wear to the goddamned engagement party!"

"Princess, please calm yourself--"

"Calm?? You want me to be calm in this damn situation?!"

"Princess! Put down that vase!"

But Dani's warning was too late. The antique vase shattered into a million pieces as it hit the marble floor.

"BULLSHIT, I TELL YOU. THIS IS PURE BULLSHIT!"Camille screamed, as hot tears of frustration rolled down her cheeks.

"Princess. Your language! How unladylike!"

Camille stepped over the shattered vase and leaned in close to Dani's face. Her hair was wild and her eyes glittered with rage as she repeated in a low shaking voice. "Bull. Shit."