Ch. 8

Ch.8 Ariel

"Thiefs brother?" were the first words that came out of Camille's mouth as she stood there in complete and utter shock.

"Flirting?" Vince's eyebrows rose.

"Cammie?" confusion struck Ariels face,"What the hell is going on?!"

"Watch your mouth," Vince said sternly.

"You punched him in the face but Im supposed to watch MY language?" Ariel's voice rose, "WHY DID YOU DO THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE?!"

"I was helping you get that knock-head to let go!"

"I DONT NEED HELP"

"Darling, I know you're worried about me but relax-"

"STAY OUT OF THIS," she snapped and pointed her finger at Nathan. He raised his hands innocently and took a step back. All eyes were set on them as Vince grabbed her arm and pulled her aside.

"You're being unprofessional. Is this is how your going to react on a job? People are staring. The princess does not need this attention and neither do you. I suggest you keep your mouth shut before you cause even more commotion," Vince's voice was low, stern, and father like. His grip on her hand was strong and she didnt bother trying to get out.

"THIEFS brother?" Camille tried again, giving Vince the coldest stare she could manage."She's the one who robbed that man!" her eyes went wide. "Youre the one that...." she trailed off, puzzle pieces clicking together in her head. "Is that the only reason you worked for me? For your little sister to get in?!" she turned to Vince, fire burning in her eyes.

"What? No princess I have nothing to do with"

"Save it," she interrupted him as she shook her head in disgust,"So I've finally caught you," Camille gave Ariel a smile that suggested victory. "I have to say, Im kind of impressed. I imagined my thief to be-"

"What? Male?" Ariel barked.

"Precisely," she snapped back.

"How typical," Ariel rolled her eyes. "It'll be the first young girl in prison,"

"IM EIGHTEEN FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!"

"Oh...." she turned to Nate, "A bit of a temper."

"Shes a fiesty one," Nate smiled at her.

"We should put her in her own cell," Camille raised her chin.

"Youre not taking me anywhere."

"I think you're forgetting who I am," Camille put her hands on her hips.

"Really? You're going to lock me up yourself?" Ariel smirked and crossed her arms, mimicking the princess.

"Ladies, look we can work this out," Nathan came and placed his arm around both girls shoulders.

"I can't believe you're defending your fling girl!"

"I am NOT one of his 'fling girls!" Ariel hissed.

"Camille please.... she's young and off her rocker. Shes an orphan, she doesn't know what she's doing," Vince's eyes were full of emotion.

"Ill say," Nate scoffed.

"HEY! Im standing right here!" Ariel protested and shrugged his arm off of her, but everyone ignored her.

"Actually," a smile spread across her red, soft lips and Ariel wondered how she made a dark blue maids dress look beautiful.

"I think I have the perfect punishment. Nate, you seem so fond of this peasant girl, follow her."

"What? Oh Cammie dear I don't stalk the ladies, they come to me," he folded his arms in front of his chest.

"I have a ball coming up, I need you off my back and I need to make sure our little curly blonde thief doesn't stick her nose in the castle. You get to babysit for the week," she smiled and patted his cheek.

"Princess you can't possibly have this numb-skull follow my little sister. Ill keep her out of trouble, I promise," Vince scowled at Nate who didnt seemed bothered at all.

"Because you've been doing such a good job with that," sarcasm hanging in her voice as she smoothed out the dark hair on her head.

"Where's Ariel?" Nate looked surprised.

"You let her out of your sight? Already? Nate you've got to be kidding me you fool! Find her now!"

"You scared her off and you're not going to find her. If theres one thing shes good at, its hiding," Vince leaned on the rail and the corner of his mouth turned, feeling proud of his sisters skills.

"We'll see," Nate said as he dashed off.

Camille's eyes tuned back on Vince as she shot him daggers and huffed.

"Camille, Im not involved in my sisters thievery in the castle," Vince tried to take a step towards her but she started walking off.

----------------

The sun was setting, causing shadows to cast throughout the town and the sky light with shades of watercolor pinks, reds, and purples. There was a slight breeze but the air was warm from the hot sun that day and the dark roof tiles beneath her were still warm. She closed her eyes and took a breath, listening to every sound and that's when she heard the footsteps.

She quickly stood and faced her opponent behind her in fighting stance. "Whoa there princess," He stood at the other side of the flat area of the roof.

"Here to take me back to the castle?"

"No actually the opposite," he stood there casually, hands in his trouser pockets.

"Hmm I don't think I can trust you considering you tried to turn me in last time," she narrowed her eyes at him, a strand of wavy hair flying loose in front of her face. Her stance stayed strong as he slowly stepped closer to her.

"Well I have new orders from the princess, so meet your new babysitter," he pursed his lips and lifted his right foot, slowly balancing on his left before taking a step forward.

"I don't need a babysitter. Get lost."

"I figured you liked heights," he said ignoring her.

"What?" she slowly stood straight and placed her arms at her sides.

"Your block-head of a brother said I couldn't find you," he smiled with satisfaction,"here you are."

"Don't you dare call him that. Just go away I can take care of myself!" He only took another clumsy step forward.

"Ooooh sorry, you see Im not really allowed."

"Well have fun sleeping with the rats."

"You're one cranky girl you know that princess?"

"Shut up."

"But you're fun to tease," He stepped closer.

"Take one more step and you're dead I swear," she was standing on the edge now, a fast escape plan forming In her mind.

"C'mon prince-" before he could finish his next clumsy step he lost his balance and everything happened in a flash; his foot slipping, him tumbling down the edge, landing on one of the soft fabric roofs covering the fruit stand below and tumbling to the ground.

She had an itch at the back of her throat to call out to him, but as her brain racked for names, she couldn't find one to match the charming boys face.