Chapter 3- Choosing

An unknown amount of time had passed, and my tears finally came to an end. I sniffed and pulled from Jax's warm embrace. I breathed in a deep, shaky breath, and let it out in a lame attempt to recollect emotions. "So.. um... where is everything..? And everyone?" I asked just needing to talk about anything other than our deaths. "That's why they sent me here, you're a lost soul. You need to decide where to go. You need to choose what you want your Heaven to be," Jax recited these lines as if he had said them a hundred times, "I am a Creator. I will build your new life, it can be anything you wish. You can have anyone in it."

"I want you. Our life that was supposed to be, getting married, a house, love, and kids of our own," I responded quickly. It was all I had ever wanted, and I could finally have it. I could be with the love of my life at last.

"You may also choose to live in Headquarters where you will be assigned a duty, such as Creator, Soul Guide, Chooser, Welcomer, Guardian, and Taker." There he goes again, it's like he's on auto pilot. He stares blankly as he recites what seems to be ingrained in his brain, he is not my Jax in these moments, he is someone else.

"But I want you!" I huffed. "You must choose. I cannot be a part of your Heaven as I already have a duty. Would you like me to create something for you?" he says in a monotone voice. "Do you see the other people with jobs in Headquarters? How do I become one of them?" I so hoped I could be with him somehow some way. After all, I did this for him.

"Those with duties interact as needed. If you choose it have a duty, there will be a selection process and you will be assigned a job. The only job that does not need to interact is Taker. Would you like to know what each duty is?" his eyes flicker to my Jax for a moment, it's almost as if he is fighting this auto pilot mode. "Yes, I want to know," I respond quickly.

" A Creator is someone who creates Heavens in the exact way a person wants. Welcomers are the ones that greet incoming souls. Guardians protect those that are undecided, and protect again heathens that try to get in and destroy Heaven," he explained, "Soul Guides show the souls into their new lives, whether its Heaven or Hell. Choosers pick who is to die next. And the Takers are the ones that make sure that life is taken." "I want a duty," I said.  "I'm happy to hear that, follow me," Jax said as he turned and started off into the white abyss.