I Will Always Protect You

Sherlock's POV:

I woke up on the sofa with Jon still asleep on my chest. I smiled and thought of what happened last night. I had finally showed him how I have always felt. Nothing else happened but I was so happy I could have just won the lottery. I checked my phone to find a text from Mycroft.

Don't make me re-install the surveillance. Look after John. - MH

I glanced down at John still fast asleep, the rise and fall of his chest synchronised with mine. I knew from that moment that everything would always be fine as long as I have John. I refrained from making us breakfast as I didn't want to wake him. I could feel him slowly stir and when his eyes finally greeted mine, I felt a warm sensation I had only felt with John.

"Good morning." I said softly.

"It is, isn't it!" John smirked, sitting himself up.

"We should probably get breakfast going before Jamie wakes up."

"Good idea, but we don't have any milk..."

"Milk's on me!"

"Sherlock Holmes getting milk? Someone has changed you!"

"I think we both know who that was."

I leant in slowly and placed a soft kiss on his lips, cupping his face in my hand as I did so. The warm sensation appeared again, stronger this time. John smiled into the kiss and when we broke, he was still grinning.

I got up from the sofa and made my way to the kitchen. I switched on the kettle and retrieved three tea bags from the cupboard above me. John walked in behind me, stretching as he yawned. He walked over to the draw and pulled out some mats, placing them on the table one by one. John came over to me and told me to nip down to the shop to get some milk. I sighed and stepped into my room, getting changed and running my fingers through my hair.

Walking back out into the kitchen I planted a kiss on John's cheek and swiped my coat from the rack. I checked my back pocket for my wallet and left the apartment, closing the door behind me so I didn't wake Jamie or Mrs Hudson. I stepped out onto the street and started to walk in the direction of the shop.

John's POV:

Sherlock had left to get some milk for the tea, so I sat down in my chair and checked my phone. There were no new messages so I shut it down and decided to make some eggs and bacon. I opened up the fridge and braced myself for what I was about to witness. Toes. Why are there toes? There was a bag of human toes sat in the vegetable compartment of the fridge. I sighed and rolled my eyes, trying not to smile because of Sherlock. My Sherlock.

I put my hand in the fridge and pulled out the bacon and a box of eggs. Placing them on the counter, I got two frying pans from the cupboard and turned on the hob. I picked out some eggs from the box and cracked them on the side of the pan, emptying the contents into it.

As I opened the packet of bacon, I could hear light footsteps from behind me. I turned around to see Jamie standing there in a long chequered shirt and small shorts. I smiled as I saw her yawn gently and stretch out her arms. Messing with her hair, she smiled back and picked up a glass. She hobbled over to the sink and filled the glass up with water. She sat down at the table and switched on her phone.

I drew my attention back to the breakfast and thought about Sherlock. I could feel a smile creeping in as I thought about what had happened last night. That one kiss was the beginning of something new, the beginning of a new chapter. Our new chapter.

"What are you thinking about?" Jamie asked.

"Oh, nothing." I replied, still grinning.

"Sherlock."

"Excuse me?"

"You were thinking about him."

"How on earth could you possibly know that?"

"You posture, it tells a lot about you, and the way you held that spatula. You really are quite readable, John. I know exactly what happened last night. Congratulations!"

"Nothing happened last night!"

"Apart from a kiss..."

I knew she took after Sherlock but, this much? It was rather scary how much she reminded me of him. Not just the way she looks, but the way she deduces things is scarily alike. I decided to ignore her comment as I heard the door downstairs close.

Sherlock was soon standing in the doorway to the apartment, milk in hand. I smirked and stepped forwards to take the milk from him. The kettle had long since boiled so I switched it on again. I walked back over to Sherlock and stood on my tiptoes, planting a kiss on his gorgeous lips.

"I don't want you to get hurt, John. Moriarty is playing a game..." He whispered.

"I don't care, I will never leave your side." I replied, smiling.

"And I will always protect you. Promise."