Introduction

So, as I rode down that large hill on that rollercoaster, with that tall and handsome guy holding me so tightly that I couldn't feel the wind slapping my face and couldn't hear the excited screams of little kids, I realized that my life didn't actually suck that much. It all started when I took my first few steps into the jungle of a high school. I had been a junior that year, and as I walked through the door frame I almost turned right around and left. Almost. After gathering my cluttered thoughts and grasping any courage I could, Danni Stride took another step. Then another. And another. And one more. Finally, I ended up in Biology, my first class. It was overall a bore, but I listened and took notes, hoping to get the year started right. Next was English. Step. Another step. And another. This continued until I had nearly walked across campus. I hurried into the gloomy classroom and took a seat. On the surface of my desk there were drawings of flowers and strange yet beautiful creatures that bordered the wood. In the center a small yet boldly engraved name seemed to pop out, "Marco". The drawings were sketched in pencil, yet I could almost see the colors inside the grey outline. Dismissing the thoughts of the beautiful art, I pulled out my binder and pencil, and begun taking notes.
English class was my favorite, yet today it seemed dull and as if it had no purpose. The teacher couldn't care less about his job, and all of the students couldn't care less about the subject. As I walked down campus to the cafeteria, the jumbling seniors paraded by as break came, the juniors followed, then the sophomores, and finally the freshmen. All of the students flooded the cafeteria, grabbing at any piece of food they could. The stereotypes were obvious: jocks, cheerleaders, goths, nerds, theatre geeks, the kids who went in and out of jail, and then the leftovers. The scraps. Me and about 7 other kids didn't have a group. We focused on academics and got outstanding grades, but weren't nerdy. We picked and enjoyed theatre as an elective, but stayed strictly in school when it came to acting. We, though we didn't play sports, were athletic and fit. We were easy to look at, but not drop dead gorgeous. We never drank or went to parties, but we had our fair share of trouble. And one thing was for sure, we were the ones going places. We would get into nice colleges, with degrees the others would die for, and we would do something with our life. Though no one admitted it, all of the students wished they had opportunities like us. Honestly, I don't know how I got into this group, I simply didn't make friends last year and focused on grades. Suddenly, the end of the year came and I was on the straight A honor roll list.
A few colleges had sent me letters about wanting me to attend at their school, but I had my eye set on Vanderbilt. The weather is nice up there, snow blanketed campus in winters, giving the place a beautiful setting. I could see myself cuddled up on a couch during Christmas break, enjoying caramel corn and watching classic movies as my significant other and I exchanged conversations about our family, our future, and how much we enjoyed each other's company. During thanksgiving I saw myself hosting a large feast, all of my friends gathered around a large wooden table and enjoying the pleasure of home cooked turkey and mashed potatoes. Out the window, leaves the colors of sunsets will float across the autumn air. The significant other I mentioned earlier would be by my side, holding my hand under the table and smiling at me as he talked about how he couldn't wait until he had his own family and enjoyed thanksgiving with them. During spring I would go on a road trip with him and our friends to the mountains, we would hike and go biking before all of us slept under the stars in the crisp, warm air. During summer he and I would travel to wherever we could afford and volunteer at schools and animal shelters for extra credit. We would enjoy each others company year round, doing homework together and studying for that big test we wouldn't both be having in a week. My goals were high, and yes, I know that I was setting myself up for disappointment, but I couldn't get these thoughts out of my brain.
Snapping back into reality, I hurried to History, then Theatre, and lunch came upon us.