Chapter 3 - Edited

Jackson's POV

I caught Lexson before he hit his head. I knew he was scared of this whole situation but I didn't think he was frightened enough to faint on me and all our guests.

Murmurs started around the hall at my apparent lack of care for the little omega. I glared at them to keep their mouths shut but, naturally, as all the members in this room were of Alpha status, no one listened to my silent command.

I looked over as Tyler came up to me. "Sir, the omega did not complete his required duties."

"Not now, Ty. Can't you see I'm busy?" I gestured to the rest of the room.

"But, Sir, I thought you wanted me to report the actions of all the omegas. This one," Tyler sneered, jerking his head toward Lexson, "woke up late and spent three hours scrubbing the south wing. He had other duties to attend and he has not completed them."

I grumbled. This was so not how I wanted to start this whole thing out. "I'll take care of this later."

Tyler nodded before heading out. Then a thought struck me. "Tyler!"

He turned around. "Yes, Alpha?"

"Did he have anything to eat since he woke up?"

"I dot believe so…no."

I sighed, dismissing the dominant. I looked over at Lexson. Why did he constantly punish his body like this? Working himself to the bone without even so much as a scrape of food?

"Jackson, what's the meaning of this? How could you let any member of your pack, even this adorable little omega get to such a point?" Ihuran called out. He was one of the Alphas that held territory next to mine. He was always such a firm believer in ethics and wolf's rights. If I recalled correctly, he refused to call any wolf a dominant or submissive, though their natures dictated otherwise.

The room went silent as if awaiting my answer. I cleared my throat. I hated having to prove my worth to all of them. I was a good Alpha, damn it! Why did I need to justify every move I made?

Lexson's POV

I opened my eyes to the great dining room where it seems all those I met were seated. I looked around, shocked and more humiliated than I've ever been in my whole life. I PASSED OUT! There was no other explanation. Just fell over and passed out. I looked up, only just realizing that I was in somebody's lap.

It was Alpha Jackson…of course it was. Why else would I feel so comfortable? Except now as I looked into his eyes, I could see how disappointed he was. Probably at me because of something I did. I should apologize. But I hated not knowing what I was apologizing for. I opened my mouth.

"Don't," Alpha Jackson said. "You don't need to say anything. It wasn't your fault…well, I suppose it is your fault seeing as how you were working for three hours straight without having a bite to eat. In this hot weather no less. What were you thinking?"

"I-I'm so-"

"No, don't apologize. There's no need. What's done is done. All we do now is move forward."

I nodded, thanking whatever god was watching over me today. Then I looked out across the table. It was like looking at heaven. Large platters were placed on the table with all kinds of meat. I easily identified the elk, moose, and rabbit, mostly because that was all that was left for us omegas. But couldn't figure out what some of the others were. I suspected some kind of fish but I could be wrong. To top it all off, there was all manner of fruit and vegetable artfully decorating the table. And bread of the highest quality, so fresh, it smelled like it had just come out of the oven. It was a bounty fit for an Alpha…or a pack of Alphas, I guess. I looked back to Alpha Jackson, unsure of what I was supposed to do. Was I to serve everyone?