Faeries N

Nagas - They're upper bodies are human, and their lower bodies are that of a snakes. They're often seen wearing hooded canopies or with seven or more heads. Both sexes are extraordinarily beautiful, and several royal Indian families claim to be descended from them. They bite humans who're evil or destined to die prematurely. Buddhists regard them as minor deities and door guardians.

Neck - A shape shifter water faery who is an expert harper and singer. It is likely that possess no gender or concrete form, but usually appear to humans as poor reflections of themselves. They're seductive and cunning and should be avoided. Necks are very alluring to human males. They're usually seen lounging beside the edge of a lake or stream. They're been credited with the drowning of many people.

Nereides - Pronounced "Nair-eye-deez"; they're beautiful and graceful female water faeries, most usually seen in the Aegean Sea . They're dangerous to humans, especially children. They inflict insanity on anyone who sees them under a full moon, and they can't bear children, so they steal them instead. The only thing they love more than children is milk and honey, and setting some out will distract them from their mischief. But don't get sed to feeding them or they will hang around like stray animals. They can shape shift into the bodies of swans and like to sing while swimming in this form. Nereides wear white shawls when they're on land, and if a human man can capture one of these, he can gain control over the faery.

Nibelungen - These Teutonic dwarf faeries live in a hidden subterranean crystal palace. They are tricksters and quite capricious, with a temperament most resembling that of the Irish Leprechaun. The Nibelungen's gold is guarded when they're not around by a dragon named Fafnir. Humans can obtain the gold only in the astral world; it will not travel back to the physical realm. Those who try to take it lose everything they have gained spiritually. These faeries are goldsmiths who make golden rings with magickal properties. They are best known for their rings of fertility which many a barren human has sought but failed to obtain. The Nibelungen seem to take great delight in the failings of humans who seek their magick and their world, and their merry laughter is often heard just as some hapless human falls, trips, or loses the prizes they believe they have just won.

Nixen - Water sprites who primarily live in the rivers of Germany and Switzerland . They are seen in both genders, but the females seem to predominate. The females are very lovely, and the males are quite handsome except for their green teeth. Their temperament runs somewhere between mischievous and dangerous. Nixen have been known to lure swimmers and sailors to their deaths on rocks and to invoke storms in the rivers they inhabit. Metal is an especially potent weapon against them, which renders them powerless and can even kill them if they are exposed for too long a time. Nixens have on a few occasions been helpful to humans by warning of drownings and approaching storms, but this is rare.

Noggles - A solitary faery who lives near the edge of inland streams, which he jealously guards against human encroachment. They look like small gray horses, complete with miniature tack. His two favorite pranks are jamming mill wheels and chasing people into the water.

Nokke - Pronounced "Noe-keys". They're both male and female, and can be heard singing at dawn and dusk. They avoid humans completely. When humans try to find them by following the sound of their voices, they either stop singing or move somewhere else and take up the song again, leaving the frustrated follower behind. Whether this is done for sport or because they really don't want humans around is unknown.

Nucklelavees - Pronounced "Nuke-lay-lah-veez"; they're Scottish sea faeries native to the Hebrides Islands . They are ill-tempered in the extreme, are hideous, have large, powerful bodies, and can take almost any form they wish-but they always appear very ugly to humans. When not shape shifting, they appear as half-human and half-horse with fins for feet. If cut, they bleed black blood. They enjoy coming out of the sea and chasing humans just to frighten them, but no one has ever been reported to be actually captured by one. They also prey on other faeries. These foul faeries can be smelled approaching long before they show up. The odor they emit has been described as a cross between spoiled fish and rotting eggs all covered with mildew.

Nymphs - Nymph is a classification of faeries rather than a single type. There are wood nymphs, water nymphs, sea nymphs, tree nymphs, grove nymphs, etc. They have a reputation for excessive sexuality. They exist in every conceivable place in nature, and are all over Faeryland.