Obstacle Melody

(Aphrodite POV)

This god I've never seen before was most unsightly. Hephaestus was it? Apparently mother hid him for years then threw him from Mount Olympus. I don't know what's more unsightly, Hephaestus or my mother's evil doing.
Of course I am not all that judgmental and I believe his figure is perfect. Way more pronounced than Ares.
I looked at Hermes lead Hephaestus down the mountain after our conversation finished. He was a huge and kind man. I wonder who raised him in the world of the living.
Well if I see him again, I'll ask personally.
"I can't believe he is a god." Athena came from behind me and put her hand on her hip. "He is not attractive at all. What do you think Aphrodite?"
This again? Athena's smart attitude and obsession with beauty she always had will bring her misfortune one day.
"I do agree, but he has a strong personality. I favor that in a man."
"Strong as in leave a mighty goddess chained to a chair he gave to her as a gift, type of man."
"It's not like other gods have done anything better."
"That may be true, but still."
"Just be glad it didn't happen to you. Its good that he's bold and speaks his mind."
"Now I see why you are always following Ares around. His boasting is what you like right?"
I looked at Athena and saw jealousy rested upon her face. She is always like this when it comes to men who didn't approach her. With Dionysus, Apollo, Hermes, Ares, even with the humans. She can't stand not being in the center of attention. Me on the other hand, wished I was in her place of unnoticed beauty. Instead of being stared at day in and day out, I would rather want to find a man who ignores my looks and loves me for me. The love that humans feel for each other when they are betrothed not because of lust, but because of affection. Athena was lucky in my case of unwanted attention.
"Yes, that is why I like Ares because he doesn't want me..."
Athena furrowed her brows at what I said then shook her head.
"Aphrodite, you are immensely strange. Who would like a man who doesn't want them? You're insane I tell you." Athena snapped her fingers and two guards appeared in the air pulling a chariot.
"I'll be on my way sister. If you ever need assistance, just contact me." I smiled and waved at the strong minded god while she flew away.
I walked back inside of the familiar white palace then found my most beloved place. The balcony reaching over the left side of Mount Olympus. The setting sun blossomed colors of pink and orange over the horizon and vast lands.
"I wonder where Ares is?" I asked myself out loud, not expecting an answer.
"I'm positive he left for the underworld once again." Turing around, I saw Apollo leaning against the door. He was playing with his hair and the strings of his lyre.
"Why do you always sneak about?"
"Because I'm bored. Also, I'm waiting for Hermes to return."
"So you can tease him?"
"Absolutely not...well maybe."
"I knew it."
"How's Artemis? She left before I could say anything."
"She's fine. She doesn't like to hang about much, so she went home."
"Ah, I see."
"You two used to be especially close, what happened?"
I wavered a bit before answering Apollo's question. He, being one of my closets brothers, barely knows anything about me. It's a sad thought.
"Mm, nothing in particular. We just have nothing to blather about at the moment. It's common for close relationships to become detached."
"In truth, that has never happened to me."
"Is that so?" I responded sarcastically.
"In fact, I'm quite shocked that you and Athena are cordial."
"I admit, she's a diversion of many sorts."
"Diversion to what?"

Again, I hesitated to answer with candor. I know for sure he will think of me in a different way if he knew the truth.

"Of...all these godly matters."
"As if you participate in any of them." Apollo snickered and picked up his lyre. "Actually, I just wanted Hermes to hear my new hymn."
"Another one? I would love to hear as well. Your tunes always speak about malediction."
"Aye. This melody in particular is very distinct."
"Apollo!" Hermes suddenly landed onto the balcony out of breath.
"You wanted to see me?"
"It seems he has a new melody."
Hermes looked intrigued as Apollo tuned his lyre.
"I'll listen then."
Apollo looked at the sky before he plucked the strings of the mystical instrument. The sounds of music came together into one song filled with an enhanced cadence.

"For one event will take place.
The date is set; the time, the haste
Of a woman who wants nothing but true warmth and a man who wants the same,
but it cannot be bought.
And entities will try to break their paths
However both of them want this glue to last.
One does not love, one thinks they do
For a boy is forgotten, and lies come true
Times get harder for the best of these
At the light of the bittersweet festivities..."

Both Hermes and I listened in wonder to Apollo's tale. He finished playing the last note then looked up slowly.
"What do you think it means?"
"It could mean two people encounter the obstacles of being in love," Hermes said instantly.
"Aye Hermes, you always seem to understand. That's what I love about you." Apollo ruffled his hair in a playful manner.
"That's the most obvious interpretation." I said with a snarky attitude.
"Be quiet, Aphrodite." Apollo laughed still playing with Hermes' hair.
I, on the other hand, was deep in thought about what the hymn was saying. Two entities will try to break their paths? Who were the two lovers and entities?
"Aphrodite?"
"Yes?" I said and looked up at my brothers.
"It's getting darker outside, let us head indoors." Hermes stood up and followed Apollo inside. I quickly followed after, still thinking of the hymn and if it was about one of the gods. No doubt that it was, I mean who else could it be?

Picture of Apollo