Day Five: Cold Weather and Warm Libraries

AN- Forgot to mention last chapter, the names of my group members briefly mentioned in the beginning of last chapter are just people in my class, their names aren't special in any way, but Mrs. Gertrude's name is special. I chose Gertrude for a few reasons A) I have never liked it much, sorry all Gertrudes out there, I'm sure you are all wonderful people! B) Gertrude means hard spear, and I felt that was appropriate. Anywho, this will be a lighter chapter, because I had a half day at school today, and I just went to ATYP after that, so not a very eventful day for me. 

I walked out of the warm classroom that was ATYP and listened to my shoes squeak on the wet floor, the rain making everyone's shoes wet. I talked to my friends, Kaya, the dark haired beauty of a girl, Diana, the pale, blonde, quiet one no one ever noticed, and Farrah, a happy girl who never let anything, even a bad grade, bother her. 

We made it to the elevator, not in the mood to walk down the three flights of stairs. We reminisced about last year, our struggles with the homework today, and how messy our teacher's hand writing is. A high ding rang out in the elevator, and the doors slid open for us to spill out and go our separate ways. We waved goodbye, and promised to email each other this week. 

I was going to the campus library for the next hour and a half, and was excited to get there, but less than thrilled to walk across the campus in the high winds and driving, cold rain. I stopped just before the sliding doors, and the doors sensed me, and squeaked open to reveal the nasty weather outside. I sighed, counted down from three to myself, three...two...one...go! I speed walked out into the cold world that was nature right now, and was immediately hit by wind. I staggered two steps to the side, and almost fell over because my heavy backpack swayed onto only one of my shoulders. No! I don't want to fall! I will be wet, cold, and embarrassed! I don't want to talk to college kids, and they will probably notice if I fell over! 

I quickly regained my footing, wrapped my arms around myself, and continued walking. Soon enough, the entrance to my salvation came into sight, and it took all my willpower not to run to it. After another minute of walking and getting soaked by the rain,  finally could reach out and pull on the cold metal door handles to enter into the beautiful collection of books. I shouldered my way through the normal crowd of people checking out books and returning books. I made it through the security entrance and started up the three flights of stairs to my favorite floor, religion, philosophy, and psychiatry. Theist books, books about African religions, why we should believe in one god or another, Freudian theories, and Jungian theories greeted me with their warm smell as I made my way to my favorite corner, weaving in and out of the tall bookshelves.

I dropped my heavy backpack, sighing in relief as the heavy burden was relieved. I plopped down onto the oak chair and took out a book to read for the next hour and a half. I set an alarm on my phone, just in case I wasn't paying attention to time.

An hour and a half later, my phone buzzed in my pocket as promised, and I was pulled out of the deep recesses of an African village. time to fit mother nature once more. I stood, bones cracking as I haven't moved much, and bent down to pull my backpack up to me. Slinging to onto my shoulders, I walked to the stairs, and quickly hopped down to exit the warm, inviting library.  I puled open the doors to exit, and the wind tore them out of my hands. I figured  should call my mom and tell her I would be a couple of minutes late to our meeting spot, as the winds had impossibly gotten stronger while I was wrapped in the library's warm embrace. 

I pulled out my phone, but as I rocketed by another gust of wind, my mom called me. I answered it, but could not bring it to my ear for fear of it being blown out of my hand. I could barely walk straight, the wind never relented. 

After a moment, it abated for a moment, and I seized my chance: "Mom? What's up?"

"Where are you, I know your outside cause I can hear the wind whistling, but how close are you?" came the automated voice.

"About two minutes. Are you already here? Cause I do not want to be outside to wait for you." I stuttered, my teeth chattering with the cold. 

"Yeah, I'm here. See you soon! Love you!" She responded.

"Love you, too, mom!" I shot back before hanging up, sensing the approaching wind. A moment later, it hit me. I had gotten my phone back into my pocket, thankfully, because it would have been blown out of my hand.

I saw my mom's car and just as I took a step towards it, the wind disappeared, I took my chance and ran, not wanting to be hit by that dreadful wind again. I pulled open the passenger side door, slide in, and tugged it closed just as I heard the wind race towards me. 

I sighed and turned to my mom. "I'm hungry!" was the first words out of my mouth, and she laughed at this. We peeled out of the parking lot, feeling the wind rock her car. I watched the dreary day go by as we passed stoplight after stoplight.

AN- Bit of a boring day, but it was nice. Anywho, I have no school tomorrow, so that will be a slower day as well. I had a really nice time in that library, and the winds were upwards of fifty miles, so I did not like being outside.