Battle Grounds

Chapter 1

  "It's okay, just relax and start from the beginning, as far back as you can remember"

                 "We hid in a room, a really small room, I can never remember where. But even if I could it would just revieve my past more than now.I must have been about 12. I had a name, I must have. What was it? There was a lady, could she have been my mother? No, she can't have been, a mother would have cared. My brother, he was there, I know he was. The fierce light of the world outside shimmered through a hole in the ceiling and danced along the smooth lines in his face.  His face creased in the effort of trying not to cry, I remember the lady wanted us to leave, I remember her shouting. She shouted for us to leave the small hole of shelter, the one place of safety. It could have been the lack of food or the lack of personal space, she wanted us to go. She threw us into the dangerous outside world, my brother, he cried then, but I knew I could not. I can't remember my past name but I will never forget his, he was Adelais."

   So that my first memory, I often wonder where we were and why we were there. But I'm not sure I really want to know. "I want to know who my mother is, she must be out there some where. How old could she be? Anything from about 30-50 I guess. Maybe she was too young having Adelais and I, maybe that is why she had to leave us. It could be true, couldn't it?" I glance at the lady, desperately looking for a sign of approval and of hope. I get one, but it doesn't seem very real. I don't really know why I have to tell her all this, maybe she can help me find my family. She could, I'm sure of it, but her eyes, they look so sad.

  "What else can you remember, what happened when you first went outside the room, how did you leave?"

    My head doesn't feel right, like I shouldn't remember much of this. " I had to force the door open, the hinges were really rusty. Adelais didn't want to leave, and I don't blame him either. The torrents of rain soaked us right through the minute we stepped outside. We didn't have any spare clothes, or a place to stay or even anything to eat. I didn't know what to do". I can feel the tears dripping slowly down my face, my head hurts so much. Everything feels so real! Please, I don't want to experiance this again, no! I won't! But I can't stop it. I can feel myself slipping away, back to when I only lived for Adelias. It hurts me so much, but I'm there.