Crossbows and Cults

All any of the guys and two girls could do was stare, their mouths agape with shock.

"We need to get out of here," Pete said, yanking open the door, and reaching forward to grab the driver's arm to yank him out.

But that was when another arrow flew out of the bushes, to the side of the road, and sunk into the side of the bus.

The six of them whipped around to be met with the sight of four cult members standing behind them, one holding a bow with a smirk on her face.

"Run!" Rina suddenly yelled, grabbing Carlee's arm and sprinting off down the street.

Not knowing exactly what to do, Patrick took off after them as well, as Andy, Joe and Pete ran in a different direction.

The three of them sprinted through the heavy underbrush, trying desperately to shake off the two women chasing them. Every so often, Carlee or Rina would trip over themselves, almost falling over and barely missing an arrow as they stumbled back up to their feet. A few times, Patrick almost fell himself, but somehow he always managed to keep his balance, staying behind the girls to make sure they didn't get hurt.

But then, of course, things happened.

An arrow whizzed through the air, and buried itself deep in the back of Carlee's thigh.

She let out a loud shriek, falling to the ground and clutching her leg as she tried to stifle her cries. Patrick immediately jumped in front of her, while Rina dropped to her knees, and ripped open the small pouch she had resting on her hip. Medical supplies. Way to be prepared, Rina.

He gulped, backing up the slightest bit as the two women got closer, the one with the bow fitting another arrow to the string.

"Did you really think we'd let you get away with this so easily?" she asked with a low chuckle as she prepared her weapon slowly, a smirk carved on her lips. "Well you're sadly mistaken."

"We'll try to make this swift for your little entourage here," the other one said, making a mock pity face at Carlee and Rina, before continuing, "and then we'll take you back to Headquarters. Oh, everyone will be so happy to see you. Including that little girl we picked up a week ago."

A lump formed in his throat, and he stiffened, his feet becoming securely glued into place. She's still alive. At least she's still alive. That's all that matters.

The woman grinned, walking closer to Patrick as her counterpart raised and aimed her bow. "You might not be able to save her. We've had so much time to fill her head with the truth that she's practically one of us now."

His face went pale. No. No, that couldn't possibly be right... Hope couldn't... she wasn't...

She let out a laugh, reaching up and holding her hand under his chin. "You act so brave, when you're really a coward. What a pathetic little-"

The statement was cut off suddenly, and her mouth fell open, her expression one of pure shock. Not long after, her eyes rolled in the back of her head and she dropped to the ground. With an arrow in her back.

Patrick looked up, his eyes wide with confusion. Another figure came speeding out into the clearing in a bicycle, a crossbow hanging at their side. The figure jumped off the bike, letting it fall off to the side, and landed on two feet, taking aim and shooting the other woman.

For a good five minutes, the entire clearing was silent. Rina was still working away at trying to pull the arrow out of Carlee's leg without causing her to lose too much blood. Patrick just stared at the new person, his eyes still wide with surprise.