Chapter One - Birthday

Today is Henry's birthday.

And Henry is turning twenty five. Henry's mother is battling cancer at the moment. His father left them at a young age. Henry's mother said that he couldn't handle a child. He doesn't remember him, except that he always told him to take care of his mother.

Henry's coworkers threw him a surprise party for him. Everyone showed up, except his boss. That didn't bother Henry very much. He didn't like Mr. Gordan anyway. He was a stuck-up man with no compassion to spare for a single soul.

"Happy Birthday Henry!" They cried, as thoughtfully as they could. Even if they weren't close friends, but that was okay. Henry appreciated the thought that they made something nice for him. Not many people did that. Henry was always differentiated from everyone.

After work, Henry would walk home. He didn't have any sort of money for a proper vehicle, he spent every dollar for his mother's medications.

As Henry was unwinding, his mother called him up.

"Henry?" She took a deep breath. "Henry, happy birthday." Her voice was small and weak. She was losing to cancer. And her and Henry knew this. They just ignore it.

"Mom?" Henry's voice was breaking. He wasn't prepared for this. "Thanks Mom. I really appreciate you calling me like this." He feels tears falling from his face. He said to himself, I have to keep it together, for Mom.

"Henry, I have to go to chemotherapy soon, I'll call you soon. Bye baby. I love you. I hope your day was as wonderful as you are." Her voice tried to be as enthusiastic as possible for a dying woman.

"Bye Mom, I love you."

He hangs up the phone and takes a sigh of despair. He mutters to himself, "Why am I so messed up? Why did she have to get breast cancer? She's only fifty years old."

Henry shuffles towards his sunken in mattress with his blankets that long to be washed and attempts to sleep for once in his life.