Prologue

Roses, marigolds, anthuriums and orchids adorned a proud, old bungalow. Numerous smiling faces, both old and new, were gathered around in all their finery. Musicians in their crisp, blue uniforms belted out Bollywood songs new and old. Food, music and chitchat flowed through the garden. And one particular room echoed the most with teases and giggles, for there sat the beautiful bride amidst her bosom friends and family. But amongst all these shenanigans she sat staring at the mirror, untouched by the wedding aura surrounding her. She tried forcing a smile on to her face but a beautiful, bedecked stranger stared back at her from the mirror.
Why can't I smile? Why don't I feel happy? Come on Koyal, feel it, feel it or atleast just fake it, fake it.
Koyal kicked herself mentally.
It's probably just pre-wedding jitters. Yes, yes, thats it. Any moment now I will be happy.
Suddenly, everyone was in a frenzy. The baraat had arrived. People rushed out to greet them. All her friends gathered at the window to have a look at the bridegroom. But Koyal remained seated.
Comeon Koyal. Don't you want to have a look at Karan. Don't you remember how you had hoped and prayed for this day to come. Ya, ya, I should see him. She got up unsteadily and went to the window. And there was Karan, her love, riding on a horse laughing, smiling, happy.
"Koyal, worry not, we will get a closeup photo of his for you", and all her friends ran down in a whirlwind of giggles. Atlast alone, Koyal collapsed down on to her bed, her head exploding with thoughts.
In just a few more moments I ..I will be his wife..But why doesn't this feel right anymore. Koyal you fool, you love him, remember? Yes.. no.. I don't know anymore....